UAE confirms one COVID-19 death, 679 new cases

In this image taken through a tinted car window, a technician takes a nasal swab for a new coronavirus detection test at a drive-thru testing facility in Abu Dhabi. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 22 September 2020

UAE confirms one COVID-19 death, 679 new cases

  • UAE says 813 cases have recovered in the previous 24 hours
  • Kuwait records 530 cases and 1 death, Oman reports 576 new cases and 7 deaths

DUBAI: The UAE recorded one death from COVID-19 and 679 new confirmed cases on Monday, raising the total to 405 and 85,595 respectively.
The Ministry of Health and Prevention said 813 cases had recovered in the previous 24 hours, bringing the total to 75,086 since the pandemic emerged.
Meanwhile, a cafe was ordered to close down in Dubai’s Al-Seef area for not adhering to COVID-19 preventative measures and fines were issued to nine other establishments, including a gym, restaurant, tailor and shops.

Inspection teams from Dubai Economy, in cooperation with the Department of Tourism and Commerce, also issued warnings to six shops for flouting safety measures.
Dubai Economy earlier issued guidelines for government transaction centers on its official Twitter account. 

The Department of Economic Development in Ajman also temporarily closed two shopping centers “in the interest of health and safety.”
It said the centers will reopen later after ensuring they adhere to all the controls and requirements.
Elsewhere, Kuwait recorded 530 new COVID-19 cases and one death, bringing the total numbers to 99,964 and 585 respectively.

In Oman, the total number of COVID-19 cases reached 93,475 after 576 new cases were reported, while seven patients died putting the death toll at 853.

Bahrain reported three deaths, taking the death toll to 224, with 713 new confirmed cases.


Saad Hariri named new Lebanon PM, promises reform cabinet

Updated 58 min 5 sec ago

Saad Hariri named new Lebanon PM, promises reform cabinet

  • Hariri immediately promised a government of technocrats committed to a French-backed reform plan
  • He has previously led three governments in Lebanon

BEIRUT: Three-time Lebanese prime minister Saad Hariri was named to the post for a fourth time Thursday and immediately promised a government of technocrats committed to a French-backed reform plan.
Hariri said he would “form a cabinet of non politically aligned experts with the mission of economic, financial and administrative reforms contained in the French initiative roadmap.”
“I will work on forming a government quickly because time is running out and this is the only and last chance facing our country,” he added.
President Michel Aoun named Hariri to form a new cabinet to lift the country out of crisis after most parliamentary blocs backed his nomination.
Hariri, who has previously led three governments in Lebanon, stepped down almost a year ago under pressure from unprecedented protests against the political class.
“The president summoned... Saad Al-Deen Al-Hariri to task him with forming a government,” a spokesman for the presidency said.
Hariri was backed by a majority of 65 lawmakers, while 53 abstained.
Lebanon is grappling with its worst economic crisis in decades and still reeling from a devastating port blast that killed more than 200 people and ravaged large parts of Beirut in August.
Aoun warned Wednesday that the new prime minister, the third in a year, would have to spearhead reforms and battle corruption.
A relatively unknown diplomat, Mustapha Adib, had been nominated in late August following the resignation of his predecessor Hassan Diab’s government in the aftermath of the deadly port blast.
Adib had vowed to form a cabinet of experts, in line with conditions set by French President Emmanuel Macron to help rescue the corruption-ridden country from its worst ever economic crisis.
He faced resistance from some of the main parties however and threw in the towel nearly a month later, leaving Lebanon rudderless to face soaring poverty and the aftermath of its worst peacetime disaster.