LONDON: US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Tuesday that he had signed an order to remove Sudan from the list of State Sponsors of Terrorism following months of negotiations.
He also vowed to “ensure compensation for American victims of terrorism and their families.”
The US formally removed Sudan’s state sponsor of terrorism designation on Dec 14, 2020, 27 years after putting the country on its blacklist, the US Embassy in Khartoum announced.
After months of negotiations, I signed the order to remove Sudan from the list of State Sponsors of Terrorism and ensure compensation for American victims of terrorism and their families. Once in a generation opportunity for freedom -- huge benefits. pic.twitter.com/qjhoFwVTZB
— Secretary Pompeo (@SecPompeo) January 5, 2021
“Once in a generation opportunity for freedom — huge benefits,” Pompeo said in a tweet.
Washington once labeled Khartoum a hub of the “axis of evil,” but relations between the US and Sudan have warmed since ex-president Omar Bashir was ousted last year.
In 1993, the US put Sudan on its blacklist of countries it accuses of supporting terrorism.