Ramadan 2021 will start on Tuesday: Saudi Arabia

Ramadan 2021 will start on Tuesday: Saudi Arabia
Only those who have received the coronavirus vaccine or have recovered from the disease can enter the mosques. (File/Shutterstock)
Short Url
Updated 13 April 2021

Ramadan 2021 will start on Tuesday: Saudi Arabia

Ramadan 2021 will start on Tuesday: Saudi Arabia

RIYADH: Nearly 2 billion Muslims worldwide will mark the first day of Ramadan on Tuesday after an official sighting of the new crescent moon, Saudi Arabia’s Supreme Court said on Monday evening.

The court extended its best wishes to King Salman, the crown prince, citizens and expatriates in the Kingdom, and all Muslims on the advent of the holy month.

For a second year, Ramadan in Saudi Arabia will be observed under coronavirus precautions.

“The month of Ramadan is upon us and the world is suffering from the coronavirus pandemic,” King Salman said.

“We thank God for the scientific efforts in developing vaccines to curb the pandemic.”

READ MORE

Saudi Arabia’s King Salman approves Tarawih prayers in Two Holy Mosques Read more here.

Preventive measures remain in place to curb the spread of the coronavirus during Ramadan. Only vaccinated or immune worshippers will be allowed to enter the Prophet’s Mosque in Madinah, and pilgrims who try to perform Umrah at the Grand Mosque in Makkah without a permit will face a fine of up to 10,000 riyals.

Nevertheless, with more than 6 million people already vaccinated, more people will be able to attend the holy sites than a year ago, and many Saudi families are looking forward to a more “normal” Ramadan after a year of restrictions.

READ MORE

Hajj Ministry announce Ramadan guidelines for Umrah and prayers Read more here.

Rahaf Hussain and her husband Abdullah Al-Rashidi both have families in Jeddah but live in the Eastern Province. They have made it their mission this Ramadan to spend as much holiday time together as they can for the sake of their children.

The couple have planned careful iftar gatherings of no more than 20 people this year, in line with official recommendations.

“This year, we plan on a COVID-free Ramadan,” Hussain told Arab News. “We got our vaccines, and we are still wearing masks and constantly washing our hands.

“We were deprived of our families, and we lost some dear ones. Our Ramadan gatherings last year were spent on screens, but I’m making sure that won’t happen this year. We’re sticking to the rules.”


Saudi Arabia confirms 15 COVID-19 deaths, 825 new cases

Saudi Arabia confirms 15 COVID-19 deaths, 825 new cases
Updated 16 May 2021

Saudi Arabia confirms 15 COVID-19 deaths, 825 new cases

Saudi Arabia confirms 15 COVID-19 deaths, 825 new cases
  • The Kingdom said 1,028 patients recovered in past 24 hours
  • 13 mosques temporarily closed after 13 people tested positive for coronavirus

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia recorded 15 new COVID-19 related deaths on Sunday, raising the total number of fatalities to 7,162.
The Ministry of Health confirmed 825 new confirmed cases reported in the Kingdom in the previous 24 hours, meaning 433,094 people have now contracted the disease. 
Of the total number of cases, 8,145 remain active and 1,376 in critical condition.
According to the ministry, the highest number of cases were recorded in the capital Riyadh with 263, followed by Makkah with 231, the Eastern Province with 98, Madinah recorded 62 and Asir confirmed 56 cases.
The health ministry also announced that 1,028 patients had recovered from COVID-19, bringing the total number of recoveries in the Kingdom to 417,787.

The Ministry of Interior recorded 22,442 violations against coronavirus preventative measures across the Kingdom from May 9 to 15, with the highest reported in Riyadh with 8,202, followed by Makkah with 3,734, the Eastern Province with 3,504, and Qassim with 1,737. 
The ministry renewed its call on the public to register to receive the vaccine, and adhere to the measures and abide by instructions.
Meanwhile, the Ministry of Islamic Affairs temporary closed 13 mosques in five regions after 13 people tested positive for coronavirus, bringing the total number of mosques closed to 1,201 within 99 days, 1,175 of which have reopened after being sterilized.
The coronavirus pandemic has affected over 163 million people globally and the death toll has reached around 3.38 million.


Saudi Arabia reopens King Fahd Causeway for travelers to and from Bahrain

Saudi Arabia reopens King Fahd Causeway for travelers to and from Bahrain
Updated 16 May 2021

Saudi Arabia reopens King Fahd Causeway for travelers to and from Bahrain

Saudi Arabia reopens King Fahd Causeway for travelers to and from Bahrain
  • Travel suspension for citizens, and the opening of land, sea and air ports would be lifted starting Sunday
  • A coronavirus insurance certificate is required for travelers below 18 years

DUBAI: Hundreds of thousands of daily travelers between Saudi Arabia and Bahrain through the King Fahd Causeway may once again access the border crossing when travel restrictions are lifted on Monday, May 17.
Residents shuttle between the two countries via King Fahd Causeway, but the travel artery was closed on March 8, 2020, because of COVID-19 safety precautions.
Travel suspension for citizens, and the opening of land, sea and air ports would be lifted starting Sunday, state news agency SPA reported.
An additional 10 lanes were installed to the departure area, bringing the total to 27 lanes, in addition to 36 lanes in the arrival area, Duwaihi Al-Sahli, director of King Fahd Causeway Passports, was quoted by the report as saying.
However, only those who have been vaccinated against COVID-19 or those who have recovered from the disease would be allowed to leave the Kingdom, authorities. They would be required to present proof via the Tawakkalna app installed in their mobile phones.
A coronavirus insurance certificate is required for travelers below 18 years.
For travelers heading from Bahrain to Saudi Arabia, they will be required to carry any of the health applications approved in the GCC countries, which confirm whether they are vaccinated or have recovered from the virus, Bahrain’s news agency BNA reported.
They can also present PCR certificates which should not exceed 72 hours from the time of taking the sample, BNA added.
Jordan meanwhile said that exemptions previously announced for passengers’ entry through the Omari border post with Saudi Arabia have been canceled effective on Monday.
The decision was made after a series of measures were taken recently to help ease the entry of Jordanians and visitors from Saudi Arabia and other Arab Gulf countries, state news agency Petra reported, citing Interior Minister Mazen Al-Faraya.
Border regulations previously required the presentation of a certificate proving they received two coronavirus vaccine doses and a negative PCR test 72 hours prior.
Travelers can now pass without registering on the platform or having a PCR test on the border, the report said.


Taif closes popular park after increase in visitors during Eid

Taif closes popular park after  increase in visitors during Eid
Updated 16 May 2021

Taif closes popular park after increase in visitors during Eid

Taif closes popular park after  increase in visitors during Eid

TAIF: Taif municipality closed Al-Ruddaf Park after an increase in the number of visitors in order to limit the spread of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19).

Earlier, a joint committee closed two other parks in Taif that neglected to properly implement precautionary measures.

Meanwhile, the Eastern Province municipality carried out 1,192 inspection tours and 12 other joint tours with relevant authorities, in markets, commercial centers and retail stores.

The tours resulted in the closure of 17 establishments found to be in violation of preventative measures in place to prevent the spread of the disease.

The municipality confirmed that it would continue its intensive monitoring tours and awareness-raising campaigns at commercial and food establishments in the markets.

INNUMBERS

432,269 - total COVID-19 cases in Saudi Arabia

416,759 - total recoveries

7,147 - total deaths

It is also ensuring that the protocols are applied inside stores, especially in barbershops and women’s beauty centers.

It called on everyone to cooperate and report violations through the complaints call center 940.

Jeddah carried out 7,356 inspection tours of commercial centers and facilities and identified 323 violations for issues related to overcrowding and the failure to effectively use the Tawakkalna app. Authorities have shut down 92 commercial outlets for breaching COVID-19 protocols.

Saudi Arabia reported 13 more COVID-19-related deaths on Saturday. The death toll now stands at 7,147. The Ministry of Health reported 837 new cases, raising the number of people who have now contracted the disease to 432,269, with 8,363 active cases, 1,331 of which are in critical condition.

According to the ministry, 290 of the newly recorded cases were in Riyadh, 240 in Makkah, 97 in the Eastern Province and 55 in Madinah. In addition, 1,012 patients have recovered from the disease, bringing the total number of recoveries to 416,759.

Saudi Arabia has so far conducted 17,916,457 PCR tests, with 47,586 carried out in the past 24 hours.

Saudis and expatriates in the Kingdom continue to receive their COVID-19 jabs, with 11,400,807 people inoculated so far.


Saudi Arabia leads Arab action in UN to highlight Palestine violence

Saudi Arabia leads Arab action in UN to highlight Palestine violence
Updated 16 May 2021

Saudi Arabia leads Arab action in UN to highlight Palestine violence

Saudi Arabia leads Arab action in UN to highlight Palestine violence
  • Saudi envoy urges world community to protect civilians

NEW YORK: Saudi Arabia’s permanent representative to the UN in New York, Abdallah Al-Mouallami, has met the permanent Chinese delegation to the UN in his capacity as president of the Security Council for this month, as the Kingdom leads Arab action on Palestine.

The Arab small group meetings aim to provide information in the Security Council about the Israeli attacks against Palestinians, especially recent ones so that the international community can carry out its duties to protect civilians.

The meeting was attended by Faisal Al-Haqbani, the special political committee’s official from Saudi Arabia’s permanent delegation to the UN.

Al-Mouallami also met the president of the UN General Assembly, Volkan Bozkır, as the Kingdom leads an Islamic movement for Palestine. The meetings of the Islamic Group with the president of the General Assembly aim to shed light on the recent Israeli attacks to urge the international community to protect civilians.

Saudi Arabia has always been the first to support the Palestinian cause in the UN and before the international community.

On Friday, the Saudi foreign minister spoke to the Palestinian Authority’s Minister of Foreign Affairs and Expatriates Riyad Al-Maliki on the phone. During the call, Prince Faisal bin Farhan affirmed the Kingdom’s condemnation of illegal practices carried out by Israeli authorities, and the need to immediately stop the country’s escalatory actions that violate all international norms and conventions.

The Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) will hold an emergency meeting on Sunday to discuss the situation in Jerusalem and Gaza, at the request of Saudi Arabia.

The meeting between foreign ministers of OIC member nations will address continuing Israeli attacks in the Palestinian territories.


Saudis pack their bags and prepare for bumpy takeoff

Saudis pack their bags and prepare for bumpy takeoff
Updated 16 May 2021

Saudis pack their bags and prepare for bumpy takeoff

Saudis pack their bags and prepare for bumpy takeoff
  • Coronavirus restrictions in some countries have restricted Saudi travelers’ options

JEDDAH: With summer knocking on our doors, Saudi travelers will head to the Kingdom’s airports for their first international journeys in over a year — but many face challenges ahead.

After more than 14 months of international flight bans, Saudis are ready to don their blue disposable face masks and use up their air miles on May 17.

Almost 11.5 million residents of the Kingdom have received at least one COVID-19 vaccine jab and more than 400,000 recoveries have been reported by the Saudi health ministry.

While some Saudis have restricted their holiday or business destinations to the safest areas due to COVID-19 protocols, many are undeterred by the challenges ahead and can’t wait to fasten their seatbelts.

Planning a holiday in the coming months will be far from easy — choices are limited and quarantine measures are in place in a number of destinations that are popular for summer holidays. However, many tourists are still willing to travel and face the music. 

In the wake of the global pandemic, both countries and individual travelers are wary of restrictions. But even with a massive vaccine rollout in place, and authorities easing travel abroad for those who have been vaccinated and those who have recovered from the illness, many Saudis are opting to head closer to home. 

“As soon as we heard that Bahrain is allowing Saudis in without the need to quarantine, we raced to book our hotel and tickets, but they were fully booked for the first week,” said 34-year old Maha Al-Hussain from Riyadh.

“My family and I had the good fortune to visit Jeddah every now and then, but we’d like a holiday for the children to roam free and swim all day, so everyone can just take a break.”

My family and I have been searching for a new and different place to travel to for a few days now and my father was adamant that we do so especially since we’re all vaccinated.

Kholoud Yousef

The mother of three told Arab News that although it is hard to book flights for seven people at the moment, the family decided to make the four-hour drive to Bahrain and hope for a smooth entry at the King Fahd Causeway. 

“All of the adults are vaccinated and our children know the rules by now,” she said. “We went through hardships as did everyone this year. The trip is important for us all and we’ve been extra careful through it all. We’ll continue being careful until we’re back home again.”

Earlier, Bahrain announced that all GCC visitors who are fully vaccinated or recovered are no longer required to undergo a PCR test on arrival but must show evidence of vaccination or recovery. 

For Saudis, a little more care and attention is given, with a welcome back campaign launched by the neighboring island kingdom featuring the slogan “walahna alaikom,” or “we’ve missed you.”

While the state of travel to the 20 countries on the list remains in place, airlines are ready to operate normally to many cities across the world, although a number of countries are limiting arrivals. 

Several EU member states have limited arrivals from outside the EU, while others are allowing visitors back but with restrictions. 

On Friday, Greek Ambassador to the Kingdom Alexis Konstantoloulos announced that Saudis wishing to travel to Greece will be able to do so with a negative PCR test or vaccination certification and on completion of a passenger location form.

FASTFACTS

Saudis permitted to travel abroad: • Saudis who have received two doses of the COVID-19 vaccine.

• Saudis who have received one dose of COVID-19 vaccine no less than 14 days before the flight.

• Citizens who recovered from COVID-19 at least six months before the flight.

“Welcome back to our Saudi friends, Greece is expecting you,” he tweeted.

Pre-travel PCR tests conducted no more than 72-48 hours before arrival, travel insurance, five to 10 days of quarantine on arrival at the traveler’s expense and post-arrival PCR tests are among the requirements a number EU member states are requesting, but the numbers are limited as many countries are restricting nonessential travel. 

The UK, a favorite destination for many Saudis, will require self-isolation on arrival as Saudi Arabia remains in its amber category. The list will be reviewed every three weeks, according to UK officials.

Malaysia, Singapore, Hong Kong, South Korea, Australia, Russia, Spain, Poland, Vietnam, Czech Republic and Belgium are among countries still suspending international tourist arrivals.

Citizens are urged to review travel restrictions for each destination as each country requires a different set of requirements before traveling and on arrival.

“Dubai is next,” said 32-year-old PR director Yousef A. “I’ve visited Dubai many times in the past few years and it has become something of a second home for my family and I,” he told Arab News.

“I did my homework. Saudi Arabia is on the UAE’s safe ‘green list’ and no quarantine is required. As soon as the Saudi authorities allow it, that will be my next destination.” 

The search for relaxed COVID-19 restrictions has been continuing for weeks after news was confirmed that the Kingdom’s travel ban would be lifted on May 17, but it is a struggle, as 27-year-old Kholoud Yousef explained to Arab News.

“We initially planned on traveling to Bali during the first week after the ban was lifted, but when we heard we’d have to quarantine for five days and take two PCR tests, we realized it would take a good chunk out of our holiday time and we don’t want to be holed up in our hotel rooms,” she told Arab News.

“My family and I have been searching for a new and different place to travel to for a few days now and my father was adamant that we do so especially since we’re all vaccinated. 

We’re putting Bali on hold for now and heading to Morocco next week, and it was an easy choice. All we needed was a confirmed hotel reservation. It feels good to know that we can travel again. Hopefully, this is going to be one great trip.”