Coalition announces operation to liberate Yemen on all fronts after winning battle for Shabwa

Update Saudi-backed Yemeni pro-government forces take position in Bayahn governorate on January 10, 2022 after taking over Yemen's northern oil province of Shabwa. (Photo by AFP)
1 / 6
Saudi-backed Yemeni pro-government forces take position in Bayahn governorate on January 10, 2022 after taking over Yemen's northern oil province of Shabwa. (Photo by AFP)
Update Coalition spokesman Brig. Gen. Turki Al-Maliki and the governor of Shabwa attend a press conference in the newly-liberated province on Tuesday. (Screenshot)
2 / 6
Coalition spokesman Brig. Gen. Turki Al-Maliki and the governor of Shabwa attend a press conference in the newly-liberated province on Tuesday. (Screenshot)
Update Charred Houthi armored vehicles are seen in the district of Bayan in Shabwa province following air strikes by pro-government coalition forces on jan. 10, 2022. (Photo by AFP)
3 / 6
Charred Houthi armored vehicles are seen in the district of Bayan in Shabwa province following air strikes by pro-government coalition forces on jan. 10, 2022. (Photo by AFP)
Update Saudi-backed Yemeni pro-government forces take position in Bayahn governorate on January 10, 2022 after taking over Yemen's northern oil province of Shabwa. (Photo by AFP)
4 / 6
Saudi-backed Yemeni pro-government forces take position in Bayahn governorate on January 10, 2022 after taking over Yemen's northern oil province of Shabwa. (Photo by AFP)
Update A Yemen pro-government fighter is seen on the ready as his unit seize control of the northern oil province of Shabwa from Iran-backed Houthi rebels. (Photo by AFPTV / AFP)
5 / 6
A Yemen pro-government fighter is seen on the ready as his unit seize control of the northern oil province of Shabwa from Iran-backed Houthi rebels. (Photo by AFPTV / AFP)
Update A grab from an AFPTV video shows Yemen pro-government fighters deploying in a key town in the northern oil province of Shabwa on January 10, 2022. (Photo by AFPTV / AFP)
6 / 6
A grab from an AFPTV video shows Yemen pro-government fighters deploying in a key town in the northern oil province of Shabwa on January 10, 2022. (Photo by AFPTV / AFP)
Short Url
Updated 12 January 2022

Coalition announces operation to liberate Yemen on all fronts after winning battle for Shabwa

Coalition announces operation to liberate Yemen on all fronts after winning battle for Shabwa
  • Yemeni government forces surge into into Houthi-controlled areas south of Marib for the first time in months
  • Coalition spokesman said the operation to liberate Yemen aimed to establish safety and prosperity

AL-MUKALLA: Yemeni government troops drove into Houthi-controlled areas south of the central city of Marib on Tuesday for the first time in months, a day after fully recapturing the strategic province of Shabwa from the Iran-backed militia.

In the wake of the victory in Shabwa, the Coalition to Restore Legitimacy in Yemen launched a new military operation to liberate the whole country from the Houthis.

On a visit to Shabwa, coalition spokesman Gen. Turki Al-Maliki said the operation aimed to “purify Yemen” and establish safety, security, prosperity, and growth. 

“Yemen deserves a lot in all areas,” Al-Maliki said in a joint press conference with the province’s governor, Awadh bin Al-Wazer.




Charred Houthi armored vehicles are seen in the district of Bayan in Shabwa province following air strikes by pro-government coalition forces on jan. 10, 2022. (Photo by AFP)

Fighters from the loyalist Giants Brigades seized control of substantial territory on Tuesday in the district of Hareb in Marib province.

The Houthis had seized control of Hareb, Al-Abedia and parts of Juba districts in September last year after making rapid progress in the neighboring provinces of Al-Bayda and Shabwa.

But government forces have taken the offensive on the battlefield since the beginning of this month after the coalition redeployed several military brigades from the west coast to Shabwa.

Governor Awadh bin Al-Wazer declared Shabwa fully liberated on Monday after the Houthis were driven out of Ain district, their last pocket of land. He thanked “the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia and the UAE for all the generous support and efforts made to achieve this victory.”

HIGHLIGHT

Government forces have taken the offensive on the battlefield since the beginning of this month after the coalition redeployed several military brigades from the west coast to Shabwa.

Coalition warplanes have intensified strikes over the past 10 days, targeting Houthi-controlled cities, including Sanaa, and the militia’s reinforcements across the country. The airstrikes have paved the way for government troops to advance in Shabwa, Marib and Al-Bayda.

Mohammed Al-Jaber, Saudi Arabia’s ambassador to Yemen, said Yemenis could end the Houthi coup and restore the state and peace to their country when they came together.

“The consensus and the unification of the ranks of the Yemeni forces would lead to the restoration of the state, peace and constructive dialogue on all issues,” he said.

Experts believe more coalition military success will force the Houthis into accepting peace efforts, and end the war.




A grab from an AFPTV video shows Yemen pro-government fighters deploying in a key town in the northern oil province of Shabwa on January 10, 2022. (Photo by AFPTV / AFP) 

“Any military action that forces the Houthis to retreat will eventually lead to de-escalation,” Nadwa Al-Dawsari, a Yemeni conflict analyst, told Arab News.

She called for the unification of Yemeni forces under one command to launch coordinated attacks on the Houthis. “Without a consistent military offensive in which all frontlines are coordinated, we will continue in this vicious cycle,” she said.

“Shabwa cannot be safe if Marib is not safe and Marib is not safe if Al-Jawf and Al-Bayda are not liberated.”

Earlier on Tuesday, the coalition announced that more than 350 Houthis had been killed in various operations in Yemen.

In oil-rich Marib province, more than 120 Houthi fighters were killed and 14 military vehicles destroyed in operations over the last 24 hours.

The coalition also carried out strikes in the southern province of Shabwa which resulted in the deaths of over 230 Houthis and the destruction of 25 military vehicles.

The forgotten Arabs of Iran
A century ago, the autonomous sheikhdom of Arabistan was absorbed by force into the Persian state. Today the Arabs of Ahwaz are Iran's most persecuted minority

Enter


keywords

UAE set to launch rover to the moon Wednesday

UAE set to launch rover to the moon Wednesday
Updated 49 sec ago

UAE set to launch rover to the moon Wednesday

UAE set to launch rover to the moon Wednesday
  • Rashid rover will blast off from Cape Canaveral, Florida, tomorrow (Nov.30)
  • If the lunar mission succeeded, the UAE would be the fourth country to land on the moon.

DUBAI: The UAE has completed the final preparations to launch its first rover to the moon, it was announced on Tuesday.

Rashid rover will blast off from Cape Canaveral Space Force Station in Florida, US, on Wednesday, Nov. 30, embarking on a five-month journey to the moon.

In a statement, Japan-based ispace inc. announced it had completed the integration of its HAKUTO-R Mission 1 lunar lander into the SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket.

“We are pleased to have finished the first phase of the Mission 1 with the final preparations before launch completed,” said Takeshi Hakamada, Founder and CEO of ispace.

“To do this, we utilized a design and development model that balanced reliability and low costs by employing proven technologies and components from around the world,” he added.

The Mohammed bin Rashid Space Center (MBRSC) invited viewers from all over the world to watch the launch live at 12:39pm UAE time (GMT+4).

The rover will land on the “unexplored moon surface at Atlas Crater, on the southeastern outer edge of Mare Frigoris (“Sea of Cold”)” in April 2023, the center said.

“The target site criteria were carefully considered by the Emirates Lunar Mission Team, including the duration of continuous sun illumination and communication visibility from Earth,” the MBRSC said in a statement.

If the lunar mission succeeded, the UAE would be the fourth country to land on the moon.

The 10kg Rashid rover will study the properties of lunar soil, mobility on the lunar surface, the petrography and geology of the moon, dust movement, and study surface plasma conditions and the moon’s photoelectron sheath.

It will send data and images back to Earth, using two high-resolution cameras: Microscopic, and thermal imaging ones, said the mission’s team.

The lunar mission was the latest of the UAE’s effort in space exploration. Earlier in February 2021, the UAE made history by landing its Hope probe to Mars, becoming the first Arab nation to launch an unmanned mission to the red planet.


More than 300 dead in Iran unrest: Guards general

More than 300 dead in Iran unrest: Guards general
Updated 9 min 8 sec ago

More than 300 dead in Iran unrest: Guards general

More than 300 dead in Iran unrest: Guards general
  • The toll includes dozens of police, troops and militia killed in clashes with demonstrators or murdered

TEHRAN: Iran has for the first time reported that more than 300 people have died in over two months of protests sparked by the death of Mahsa Amini in morality police custody.
The Islamic republic has deployed state security forces against what it labels “riots” that broke out after the 22-year-old Kurdish-Iranian died on September 16, three days after her arrest for allegedly breaching Iran’s dress code for women.
“Everyone in the country has been affected by the death of this lady,” said Brig. Gen. Amirali Hajjizadeh of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) in a video published by the Mehr news agency.
“I don’t have the latest figures, but I think we have had perhaps more than 300 martyrs and people killed,” among them some of “the best sons of the country,” said Hajjizadeh, head of the Guards’ aerospace division.
The toll includes those who have taken to the streets as well as dozens of police, troops and IRGC militia who have died in clashes with demonstrators or who were killed elsewhere.
The latest official death toll is much closer to the figure of at least 416 people “killed in the suppression of protests in Iran” published by the Oslo-based non-government group Iran Human Rights.
The group says its toll includes those killed in violence related to the Amini protests and in distinct unrest in the southeastern province of Sistan-Baluchistan, near the borders with Pakistan and Afghanistan.
Thousands of Iranians and around 40 foreigners have been arrested and more than 2,000 people have been charged, according to judicial authorities.
Among these, six have been sentenced to death, with their appeals set to be heard by the Supreme Court.
Since the Islamic Revolution of 1979 that overthrew the monarchy, Iranian law requires all women to wear modest dress and a hijab head covering that conceals their hair, rules enforced by morality police squads that patrol public places.
Over the past two decades, however, many women, especially in Tehran and other major cities, have shown more of their hair, before the rules were tightened again — a flashpoint issue in the protests.
Iran has blamed its enemies for the civil unrest, pointing at the United States, other Western powers and Israel, as well as exiled Kurdish-Iranian opposition groups based in northern Iraq whom it has hit with repeated missiles and drone strikes.
Amid the heightened tensions, Iran’s national football team will play the US side at the World Cup in Qatar from 1900 GMT Tuesday — a match seen as highly political between the countries that have had no diplomatic relations since 1980.
Iran’s judicial authorities Tuesday announced the release of more than 1,100 detainees in 20 provinces, including protesters, following Iran’s World Cup win Friday against Wales, the Mizan Online news agency reported.


UAE, Europol bust cocaine ‘super-cartel’

UAE, Europol bust cocaine ‘super-cartel’
Updated 29 November 2022

UAE, Europol bust cocaine ‘super-cartel’

UAE, Europol bust cocaine ‘super-cartel’
  • Dubai police arrest 6 ‘high-value’ suspects linked to Netherlands, Spain, France
  • Emirates committed to joint global security pacts, says deputy PM

DUBAI: The UAE’s Deputy Prime Minister Sheikh Saif bin Zayed Al-Nahyan lauded on Monday the arrest of 49 drug kingpins, including six chief suspects in Dubai, involved in a “super-cartel” that controlled a third of Europe’s cocaine trade network.

The arrests were the result of coordinated efforts between the UAE’s Ministry of Interior, the Dubai Police General Command, the EU Agency for Law Enforcement Cooperation Europol, and several overseas law enforcement agencies.

 

 

With the support of Europol, parallel investigations launched in Spain, France, Belgium, the Netherlands and the UAE targeted the activities of the prolific criminal network involved in large-scale drugs trafficking and money laundering.

Over 30 tons of drugs were seized by law enforcement officers during the massive international operation, Europol said.

Dubai had arrested two “high-value” suspects with ties to the Netherlands, two with ties to Spain, and two with ties to France.

“One of the Dutch suspects is an extremely big fish,” a Europol source told AFP.

 

 

Another 13 people were arrested in Spain, six in France and 10 in Belgium, while 14 people were nabbed in 2021 in the Netherlands as part of the same operation, Europol said.

Sheikh Saif attributed the success of Operation Desert Light to the cooperation between nations and law enforcement agencies worldwide. Joint agreements remained a key part of the UAE’s commitment to global safety and security, he said.

In September, Europol and the UAE Ministry of Interior signed a Liaison Officer Agreement, as part of this commitment to tackle transnational crime, Europol said. The agreement ensures the deployment of UAE law enforcement liaison officers to Europol’s headquarters in the Netherlands.

A UAE official has already joined the network of over 250 liaison officers from more than 50 countries and organizations with permanent representation at Europol.


Israeli fire kills 3 Palestinians in West Bank

Israeli fire kills 3 Palestinians in West Bank
Updated 29 November 2022

Israeli fire kills 3 Palestinians in West Bank

Israeli fire kills 3 Palestinians in West Bank
  • Rioters hurled bombs and fired shots at soldiers who responded with live fire

JERUSALEM: Three Palestinians were killed by Israeli troops in the West Bank Tuesday, the Palestinian health ministry said, the latest deaths in a sharp uptick in violence in the occupied territory.
Two brothers were killed by Israeli fire in Kafr Ein, near Ramallah, while a third man died of bullet wounds to the head fired by Israeli troops in Beit Ummar, near the flashpoint city of Hebron, the ministry said.
Commenting on the Beit Ummar clash, the Israeli army said it had opened fire on “rioters” who “hurled rocks and improvised explosive devices at the soldiers” after two vehicles got stuck during an “operation patrol” in the area.
The Palestinian ministry said a man it did not identify had died “after being shot in the head.”
It named the dead in Kafr Ein as brothers Jawad Abdulrahman Rimawi, 22, and Dhafer Abdul Rahman Rimawi, 21.
There was no immediate comment from the Israeli army.
Palestinian Authority civil affairs minister Hussein Al Sheikh described the killing of the two brothers as an “execution in cold blood.”
Hamas, the Islamist movement which runs Gaza, said the Israeli “escalation” would be “confronted by escalating resistance” from Palestinians.
Violence has flared this year in the West Bank, where the Israeli army has launched near-daily raids across the territory.
This week the army announced it had made more than 3,000 arrests this year as part of Operation Break the Wave, a campaign it launched following a series of deadly attacks against Israeli civilians.
The United Nations says more than 125 Palestinians have been killed across the West Bank this year. Israel has occupied the territory since the Six-Day War of 1967.


Three Israeli soldiers detained for suspected revenge attack on Palestinians

Three Israeli soldiers detained for suspected revenge attack on Palestinians
Updated 29 November 2022

Three Israeli soldiers detained for suspected revenge attack on Palestinians

Three Israeli soldiers detained for suspected revenge attack on Palestinians
  • Palestinian gunmen seized the body of an Israeli Druze high-schooler from a hospital in Jenin
  • The incident fueled expectations that the military could launch an assault

JERUSALEM: Three Israeli soldiers were detained on Monday, the military said, after allegedly hurling an improvised bomb at Palestinians near the West Bank city of Bethlehem as revenge for the seizing of the body of a teenager last week.
On Wednesday, in the occupied West Bank, which has seen an intensification of violence since March, Palestinian gunmen seized the body of an Israeli Druze high-schooler from a hospital in the town of Jenin where he had been taken after a car accident, according to the Israeli Defense Forces.
The incident fueled expectations that the military could launch an assault to recover the teenager’s body. But it was quietly returned after some 30 hours following negotiations that, according to a diplomat, had involved the United Nations.
The gunmen did not announce their motivation, but Palestinians demonstrated in Jenin the same day, demanding the release of remains of their relatives which they said Israel was holding. The Druze are an Arab community in Israel whose members serve in its armed forces.
The Israeli military said in a statement that it had launched an investigation into the attack on Palestinians near Bethlehem on Monday by Israeli Druze soldiers but could not provide further details.
Israel’s defense minister Benny Gantz said if it came to light that the incident was an act of revenge, the military is dealing with a “severe incident which requires accountability.”
“Israeli soldiers don’t take the law into their hands and exact revenge,” Gantz tweeted.