MAKKAH: A medical team at the Maternity and Children Hospital in Makkah saved the life of a 7-month-old American baby after she had swallowed a 5.5-cm needle.
The infant came from the US with her family to perform Umrah. She was in critical condition when she arrived at the emergency department of the hospital, the needle having punctured her intestine and created a hole.
A medical team removed the needle non-surgically, despite the difficulties posed by the baby’s age and the size of the needle.
The operation was a success, and the infant left the hospital in good health.
The medical team leader, Dr. Abdullah Al-Shanbary, stated that after the operation, the girl was kept in a state of fasting for four days, with examinations and X-rays performed.
The X-rays showed that the internal wounds healed.
Dr. Hilal Al-Maliki, executive director of the hospital, praised the achievement of the medical team and highlighted that the hospital is equipped with the latest equipment and always prepared to handle critical cases.