All embassy jobs to be Saudized

Updated 19 October 2014

All embassy jobs to be Saudized

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs plans to Saudize all contract jobs at embassies abroad, including allocating a third of all positions for women.
Deputy Foreign Minister Prince Khaled bin Saud said the plan would ensure 100 percent Saudization in Arab countries and 75 percent in missions in non-Arab countries.
He said the ministry is “closer than ever to achieving these numbers,” and that it had previously not “employed non-Saudi citizens in official positions, be they diplomatic or administrative.”
Regarding the complications faced by Saudis at visa departments in some countries, he said: “The ministry always aims through its diplomatic channels to resolve such issues, and has succeeded in doing so in numerous locations. But in cases where diplomatic attempts are not successful, the ministry immediately works to protect and ensure that the rights of its citizens are met.”
Prince Khaled said lawyers have been working on 13,364 cases involving Saudi citizens abroad over the past three years. So far, more than 11,360 cases have been resolved, which works out to 85 percent of the total, he said.
He said the ministry was working to ensure gender equality in the diplomatic corps. “The ministry does not distinguish between men and women in the Foreign Ministry. Women are given the same career options and are able to reach high positions like their male counterparts. In this regard, and as per the directives of the minister, we aim to allocate one third of all positions for women.”
“The ministry is working as per the directives of Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Abdullah to serve citizens and help them overcome obstacles.”
“As per the directives of Foreign Minister Prince Saud Al-Faisal, the ministry is also continuously working to rectify the incorrect image of the Kingdom abroad.” He said this responsibility also lies with other government agencies, which requires greater communication between stakeholders.


Wait is almost over for music fans eager to learn who will headline E-Prix concerts

Updated 25 min 5 sec ago

Wait is almost over for music fans eager to learn who will headline E-Prix concerts

  • Organizers promise this year’s line-up of international stars at Diriyah event will be bigger than ever

RIYADH: The first of the major international music acts that will perform at the Diriyah E-Prix this month will be announced on Wednesday.

There were incredible scenes at the event last year when David Guetta, One Republic, the Black Eyed Peas, Amr Diab, Enrique Iglesias and Jason Derulo rocked the UNESCO World Heritage site. About 40,000 fans flocked to the Diriyah Circuit, on the outskirts of Riyadh, for the after-race concerts, the first unsegregated music events in Saudi Arabia

The stage is set for even bigger and better things this year, with the promise of another two nights of unmissable music on Nov. 22 and 23 as the E-Prix racing returns.

“If you were one of the 40,000 who were lucky enough to be part of that watershed moment (last year) for the Kingdom, believe me, you have not seen anything yet,” said Prince Abdul Aziz Al-Faisal Al-Saud, chairman of the General Sports Authority.

“Last year we told people before we announced (the acts) they should get their tickets early to avoid disappointment. Once we revealed who was coming, the tickets sold out incredibly quickly. This year will be the same but even bigger, so for music fans who want to enjoy the biggest concerts in Saudi Arabia, the smart move is to get your ticket now.”

The Diriyah E Prix kicks off the sixth season of the ABB FIA Formula E Championship, the world’s premier all-electric motorsport series, with a double header of races. It also marks the start of Diriyah Season, a month of sport, entertainment, art, cultural festivities, food and retail experiences. Tickets for the Diriyah E Prix, which include entry to the after-race concerts, are available at www.diriyahseason.sa.