‘Nitaqat cleanup’ picks up speed

Updated 26 May 2013

‘Nitaqat cleanup’ picks up speed

More than 326,000 foreign workers have so far taken advantage of the grace period to legalize their status, said a senior official at the Passport Department.
Department spokesman Bader Al-Malek also said that around 124,000 illegal residents had already left the country and 139,000 expatriates had transferred their sponsorship.
He said 63,000 had changed professions across the Kingdom.
The grace period ends on July 3.
A number of Indian workers had their biometric data recorded at the Jeddah deportation center, the final step needed for them to go home.
More than15,000 Indian workers still need to register their details by July 3, source said.
The long and exhausting day for workers and officials, which started at 7 a.m. on Tuesday, ended only at 3 a.m. yesterday.
Sources said that only 40 people were able to record their details by 4 p.m. but the process gradually picked up speed.
The Philippine Embassy in Riyadh has opened an extra consular office outside the Diplomatic Quarter to support hundreds of workers seeking to rectify their status or applying for emergency travel documents.

RELATED STORIES: 

Company to hire 5,000 Nitaqat-affected Indians

Philippine Embassy opens field office

 
 
 

UK says TikTok locating HQ in London would be a commercial decision

Updated 3 min 43 sec ago

UK says TikTok locating HQ in London would be a commercial decision

LONDON: Britain said the location of TikTok’s headquarters was a commercial decision after a newspaper report said the government had given the green light for its Chinese parent company to set up a head office in London for the popular short-video app.
The report in the Sun said the founders of China’s ByteDance would soon announce their intention to set up shop for TikTok in the British capital, where it would join other tech majors such as Google and Facebook who have a strong presence there.
A spokesman for British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said: “It would be a commercial decision, and I’m not aware that one has been taken.” TikTok declined to comment.
Any move by ByteDance comes at a fraught time in relations between China and the West, exemplified by the battle over use in 5G telecom networks of kit made by China’s Huawei.
Britain had been trying to walk a tightrope over Huawei until it sided with Washington last month by banning the company from its 5G networks from 2027.
TikTok, whose stars such as Zachary King and Charli D’Amelio have gained worldwide popularity for their brief video performances, has also been in the firing line of US President Donald Trump over supposed security concerns.
Trump however reversed course on a plan to ban the app after Microsoft Corp. emerged as a possible buyer of TikTok’s US operations and he gave the two firms 45 days to come up with a deal.
London has also clashed with Beijing over the imposition of a new security law in Hong Kong but Johnson has said he is a Sinophile, and the British government would welcome another large tech investment in Britain particularly as the Coronavirus crisis sends the economy into a deep recession and possible trade disruptions loom over Brexit.