Land in 140 locations expropriated for Riyadh public transport project

Updated 08 January 2014
0

Land in 140 locations expropriated for Riyadh public transport project

Properties and lands expropriated for the King Abdulaziz Public Transport Project (metro and bus system) have ranged between 1.8 to 2 million square meters.
On the other hand, the Higher Commission for the Development of Riyadh (HCDR) has expropriated lands in 140 locations of which 80 percent of the lands lying on the city’s outskirts were vacant, head of Projects at HCDR Eng. Tariq Al-Faris said.
Meanwhile, the head of Transport Planning at HCDR Eng. Abdulrahman Al-Shalaan said the HCDR plans to initiate the bus project, which falls within the public transport project, during the first quarter of the current year.
Earlier Al-Shalaan told a public transport forum that the implementation of the bus project has been divided into three stages where the first operation stage will begin in the southern part of the city, followed by the central and finally finishing in the northern part of the city.
Four consortia are vying for the operation and maintenance of the bus network project in Riyadh namely the Dallah Haj Transport/MV Transportation Inc., Saudi Public Transport Co./RATP-DEV, El Seif Engineering and Contracting Co. Ltd./Gersel Turizm Tasimacilik, and Hafil Public Transport Company/National Express Group Plc.
Al-Shalaan said the bus network operation will be given first priority as it is smaller in terms of infrastructural works, engineering complexity and will require less time for implementation.
Last week, officials of the HCDR said the public transport project in the city will target the major educational facilities, government installations, commercial and health centers and densely populated areas.


Saudi Arabia to UN: Aramco strikes were ‘organized terrorist attack’

Updated 19 September 2019

Saudi Arabia to UN: Aramco strikes were ‘organized terrorist attack’

  • The letters stated that “all indications are that the weapons used in the Aramco attack are Iranian”
  • Saudi Arabia said it will take measures to respond to the attacks in accordance with international law

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia said that Saturday’s strikes on two Aramco facilities were an “organized terrorist attack” in a letter to the UN Security Council.
The Saudi Mission to the United Nations sent a letter to UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres and another to the President of the Security Council Russia’s Permanent Representative to the UN Vasily Nebenzya and members of the Security Council on Wednesday.
The letters stated that “all indications are that the weapons used in the Aramco attack are Iranian.”
They also explained that Saudi Arabia will take measures to respond to the attacks in accordance with international law, and called on the UN and international experts to participate in the investigation into the attack.