2 packed buses swept away in India landslide; at least 45 bodies recovered

1 / 2
Heavy machinery removes debris as rescue personnel search for survivors and bodies of victims after a landslide along a highway at Kotrupi, some 200 kilometers from Himachal Pradesh state capital Shimla on Sunday. (AFP)
2 / 2
Army soldiers and rescue workers search for bodies of landslide victims even as they try to pull out two buses that were covered in mud after a landslide triggered by heavy monsoon rain in Urla village, Himachal Pradesh state, India, on Sunday. (AP Photo/Shailesh Bhatnagar)
Updated 13 August 2017

2 packed buses swept away in India landslide; at least 45 bodies recovered

SHIMLA, INDIA: A massive landslide in mountainous northern India swept two packed passenger buses off a hillside Sunday into a deep gorge, killing 45 people, an official said.
“Forty-five bodies have been found,” said Sandeep Kadam, a senior official of Himachal Pradesh state where the accident occurred.
The coaches had stopped for a tea break around midnight Saturday in Himachal Pradesh when tons of rock and mud swept away an entire stretch of highway roughly 200 kilometers (124 miles) from the state capital Shimla.
Rescue teams reached the scene but struggled in the dark and steep terrain, with the army later joining the search.
“The other bus has been swept away, 800 meters down the steep hillside. We are not sure how many people were in this bus,” Kadam told AFP.
Some houses and slum dwellings were also destroyed in the landslide, which followed days of heavy rain in the Himalayan region.
Landslides are common in India, especially during monsoon months when heavy rain loosens steep hillsides.
At least five people were killed last month in a mudslide in remote Arunachal Pradesh state along the border with China.
Hundreds have died across India in torrential rain, floods and landslides since the onset of the wet season in April.


6 dead after man opens fire in Czech hospital waiting room

Updated 10 December 2019

6 dead after man opens fire in Czech hospital waiting room

  • The attacker opened fire at people’s heads from close range
  • Police published a photo of the suspect, having withdrawn an earlier photo of a different man

PRAGUE: Six people were killed in a shooting in a hospital in the eastern Czech Republic Tuesday, the prime minister said. Police said the suspect is at large and described him as armed and dangerous.

Prime Minister Andrej Babis told Czech public television the shooting took place around 7 a.m. in a waiting room. The attacker opened fire at people’s heads from close range, Babis said.

He said he was heading for the site, at the University hospital in the eastern city of Ostrava, 350 kilometers (220 miles) east of Prague.

Police said the man left in a silver-grey Renault Laguna car and called on the public not to try to stop him.

Police published a photo of the suspect, having withdrawn an earlier photo of a different man. They said that man was now considered to be a witness.

Video footage and pictures published by public radio showed police arresting a person at the site but that person did not appear to be the shooting suspect.

Officials say people have been evacuated from the clinic. Police are boosting security across the country.