After 25 years, imam of Prophet’s Mosque back to original mihrab

The mihrab in the Prophet’s Mosque. (Courtesy photo)
Updated 11 December 2017
0

After 25 years, imam of Prophet’s Mosque back to original mihrab

MADINAH: The General Presidency for the Affairs of Two Holy Mosques has prepared the place for greeting the Prophet (peace be upon him) by asking the imam to go back to the Mihrab of the Prophet, the presidency announced on its website.

Friday prayers at the Prophet’s Mosque witnessed the return of the imam to the mihrab in the Prophet’s Mosque.

Sheikh Abdullah Al-Biaijan led Friday prayers in the Prophet’s Mosque.

The presidency has already prepared the pathway leading to the place for greeting the Prophet and his two companions to allow visitors to greet the Prophet without crowding and harassment, in light of the density of worshippers recently witnessed by the mosque. This comes in line with directives of the leadership to allow visitors perform prayers in the Prophet’s Mosque and easily and comfortably greet the Prophet and His companions.

Sources said the directives were issued saying that that leading worshippers in the Prophet’s Mosque during Friday prayers, the two Eids, Taraweeh, and midnight prayers will be held in the old mihrab of the Prophet’s Mosque.

The sources said the reason behind the decision was to avoid the occurrence of stampeding during the visit of the tomb of the Prophet and his two companions Abu Bakr and Omar.

Leading worshippers from the Prophet’s Mihrab ceased 25 years ago. Sheikh Ali Al-Huzaifi was the last imam who led prayers from the Prophet’s Mihrab in 1414H.


Sirens to ring out over Riyadh as Saudi’s Civil Defense test warning system

Updated 55 min 54 sec ago

Sirens to ring out over Riyadh as Saudi’s Civil Defense test warning system

Warning sirens will sound over Riyadh on Thursday as the General Directorate of Civil Defense carries out tests on its public alarm system.

The test, which will also take place in Ad-Dilam, Diriyah and Khafji, are being carried out to ensure the sirens are effective and ready, Directorate of Civil Defense spokesman in Riyadh, Lt. Col. Mohammed Al-Hammadi, said.

The tests come as Saudi Arabia – backed by international world powers – investigates Saturday’s attacks on the Aramco oil facilities.

The Saudi Aramco facilities were hit in drone strikes earlier this week, causing fires to break out.

The Houthis claimed responsibility, but the United States believes the attacks originated in southwestern Iran, a US official told Reuters, an assessment that further increases tension in the Middle East.

In response, Iran issued a denial, warning it would respond to any attacks.