Iran must be made accountable for ballistic missiles sent to Houthis, Saudi Arabia tells UN

File photo showing Saudi Arabia’s permanent representative to the UN Ambassador Abdullah Al-Moallimi. (SPA)
Updated 27 March 2018
0

Iran must be made accountable for ballistic missiles sent to Houthis, Saudi Arabia tells UN

NEW YORK: Iran should be made accountable for supplying Houthi militia ballistic missiles to target Saudi Arabia.
Saudi Arabia’s permanent representative at the UN Abdallah Al-Moallimi handed the official Saudi letter to the Secretary General of the UN and the presiding head of the Security Council for this month.
In the letter, Saudi Arabia demanded that UN Security Council acts responsibly to uphold international peace and stability, and apprehend Iran for supplying ballistic missiles to Yemen’s Houthi militia.
The Saudi complain letter coincide with a meeting to be held Tuesday between UN Secretary GeneralAntonio Guteres and Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman.
The Saudi led coalition in Yemen displayed new evidence pertaining to Iran’s effort to smuggle missiles to the Houthi militia in Yemen.
Earlier, Saudi Arabia’s government said it sees in the continued attacks by Houthi militia a “clear Iranian involvement in supplying Houthi with advanced ballistic missiles in clear defiance of United Nations’ Security Council resolutions 2216 and 2231.” This comes after Saudi Arabia air defense forces intercepted Sunday 7 ballistic missiles targeting Riyadh and other Saudi cities.


Pompeo meets with Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman for talks on Aramco attacks

Updated 8 min 10 sec ago

Pompeo meets with Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman for talks on Aramco attacks

  • Pompeo described the drone and cruise missile strikes on Saturday as an 'Iranian attack'
  • Pompeo was met at Jeddah airport by Saudi Foreign Minister Ibrahim Al-Assaf. 

JEDDAH: US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo Wednesday described strikes on key Saudi oil installations as an “act of war” as he landed in Jeddah to meet with Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.

Pompeo described the drone and cruise missile strikes on Saturday as an “Iranian attack”.

He said it had not come from Yemen’s Iran-backed Houthi militants and that there was no evidence the attacks had been launched from Iraq.

"This is an attack of a scale we've just not seen before," he added.

Pompeo was met at Jeddah airport by Saudi Foreign Minister Ibrahim Al-Assaf.

Pompeo's visit comes as President Donald Trump said on Wednesday there were many options short of war with Iran after Saudi Arabia's display of remnants of drones and missiles it said were used in the I that was "unquestionably sponsored" by Tehran.

"There are many options. There's the ultimate option and there are options that are a lot less than that. And we'll see," Trump told reporters in Los Angeles. "I'm saying the ultimate option meaning go in — war."

Trump, who earlier said on Twitter that he had ordered the US Treasury to "substantially increase" sanctions on Iran, told reporters the unspecified, punitive economic measures would be unveiled within 48 hours.

Trump's tweet followed repeated US assertions that the Islamic Republic was behind Saturday's attack on Aramco facilities and came hours after Saudi Arabia said the strike was a "test of global will."

Earlier on Wednesday, UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson said he had spoken with US President Donald Trump about the Aramco attack, and agreed that Iran must not be allowed to acquire a nuclear weapon.

Also on Wednesday, Kuwait's army released a statement announcing it was raising its preparedness level for some units, given the tensions in the Middle East region.