Hundreds limp out of besieged Syria Daesh enclave

Suspected Daesh members wait to be searched by members of the SDF just after leaving Daesh’s last holdout of Baghouz, in the eastern Syrian province of Deir Ezzor on Monday. (AFP)
Updated 06 March 2019

Hundreds limp out of besieged Syria Daesh enclave

  • US-led Kurdish forces expect more militants to surrender with their families in tow
  • Syrians, Iraqis and militants who had come from France, Finland and other countries to join Daesh turned themselves in to Kurdish troops

BAGHOUZ: Veiled women carrying babies and wounded men on crutches hobbled out of Baghouz on Wednesday after US-backed forces pummeled the last militant village in eastern Syria.

The Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) leading the assault expected more militants to surrender with their families in tow before moving deeper in the Daesh’s last redoubt.

Bandaged and bedraggled, gaggles of suspected militants in long brown robes limped away from the hellscape of Baghouz across fields of yellow flowers to reach an SDF screening center.

The tiny village on the banks of the Euphrates River where diehard Daesh miltants have made a bloody last stand has regurgitated unexplained numbers of people.

Kurdish officers in the SDF and aid groups have voiced their surprise that the flow of evacuees never seemed to dry up after weeks of evacuations.

On Tuesday alone, “3,500 people were evacuated from Daesh-held territory,” said SDF spokesman Mustafa Bali.

Around 10 percent of the 57,000 people who have fled Daesh’s last bastion since December were militants trying to slip back into civilian life, SDF officers and the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights have said.

The operation to smash the last dreg of the proto-state Abu Bakr Al-Baghdadi proclaimed in 2014 resumed on Friday after a long humanitarian pause.

The assumption was that close to no families remained holed up in Baghouz and that those who did were refusing to surrender and choosing to die there. The deluge of fire unleashed by SDF artillery and coalition air strikes at the weekend appears to have broken the determination of some families.

Syrians, Iraqis and militants who had come from France, Finland and other countries to join Daesh turned themselves in to Kurdish troops.

“There’s still lots of people inside,” said Safia, a 24-year-old Belgian woman who was among those trucked out by the SDF on Tuesday, adding that her French husband was still inside.

Western forces from the US-led coalition — which also includes France, one of the main purveyors of foreign fighters to Daesh — could be seen looking for wanted individuals among the new arrivals.

On Tuesday, the wife of French militant Jean-Michel Clain confirmed her husband had been killed in Baghouz, days after his brother Fabien.

The brothers were featured in a video claiming responsibility for a 2015 shooting rampage in the streets of Paris that remains France’s deadliest ever terrorist attack.

Clain’s widow Dorothee Maquere fled the embattled enclave with her five children and told AFP she did not want to return to France.

“I want to be left alone after everything I’ve been through... some place where I can live, where I won’t be bothered, where I can live my life.”

More than 50,000 evacuees have been squeezed into the Kurdish-run camp of Al-Hol, where the foreigners await a decision on their fate.

Their countries of origin have been reluctant to take them back, wary of the security risk some of them could pose and of a negative reaction from the public.

The SDF have warned however that they would not carry that burden much longer and other avenues are being explored.

Iraq has already confirmed receiving 14 French nationals from Syria to be tried there.

Those filing out of Baghouz are often weak, after living for weeks with scarce food and hiding from bombs in underground shelters.

The authorities in Al-Hol and the other camps where evacuees are dispatched are overwhelmed and entire families have had to sleep rough.

“Families arriving in Al-Hol camp have been without access to health and other essential services for a long period of time and ... in a fragile state, compounded by the fatigue of the journey to the camp,” the UN office for human rights said.

Dozens of children are unaccompanied and the toll of those who died shortly after arriving or en route from Baghouz keeps growing.

“90 deaths have been reported; two thirds of them children under the age of five,” it said, adding that the main causes of death were hypothermia, pneumonia, dehydration or malnutrition complications.

The militants are massively outnumbered in Baghouz.

The Kurdish-led SDF, who launched their broad offensive on remaining Daesh strongholds in the Euphrates Valley six months ago, say they expect a victory within days.

The capture of Baghouz would mark the end of Daesh territorial control in the region and deal a death blow to the “caliphate,” which at its peak more than four years ago was the size of the United Kingdom and ruled millions of people.


Erdogan hit by more arms bans as pressure grows over Syria invasion

Updated 16 October 2019

Erdogan hit by more arms bans as pressure grows over Syria invasion

  • United States threatens more sanctions
  • Britain, Spain and Sweden joined Germany and France in suspending military exports

ANKARA: Three more countries halted arms sales to Turkey on Tuesday as pressure mounted on President Recep Tayyip Erdogan over the Turkish invasion of northeast Syria.

Britain, Spain and Sweden joined Germany and France in suspending military exports, and the US threatened Ankara with more sanctions unless Erdogan halts the offensive.

“We will keep our defense exports to Turkey under very careful and continual review,” British Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab said. “No further export licenses to Turkey for items which might be used in military operations in Syria will be granted while we conduct that review.”

Spain, a major arms exporter to Turkey, urged Erdogan to “put an end to this military operation” because it endangered regional stability, increased the number of refugees and threatened Syria’s territorial integrity.

“In coordination with its EU partners, Spain will deny new export licenses for military equipment that can be used in the operation in Syria,” the Foreign Ministry said.

Sweden also halted exports of military combat equipment. “Two permits that have been active have now been recalled,” it said.

BACKGROUND

Vice President Mike Pence will hold talks with Erdogan in Ankara on Wednesday, and the UN Security Council will discuss the invasion.

Erdogan’s assault against Kurdish forces, launched last week, has prompted a chorus of international condemnation. “Many NATO allies are very critical and are condemning the military operation in northern Syria,” said Jens Stoltenberg, secretary general of NATO, the Western military alliance of which Turkey is a member.

Russia’s presidential envoy for Syria, Alexander Lavrentiev, said Turkey had no right to deploy its forces in Syria permanently, and Moscow had not approved the operation.

US President Donald Trump imposed new sanctions on Turkey on Monday, and on Tuesday the US said more sanctions would follow unless the invasion was halted.

“The plan is to continue the pressure on Turkey as we evaluate our chances to return the relationship to normal, a major element of that return to normal would be a cease-fire,” a senior administration official said. “And by cease-fire what I mean is forces on the ground stop moving on the ground.”

Vice President Mike Pence will hold talks with Erdogan in Ankara on Wednesday, and the UN Security Council will discuss the invasion.