Car bomb blast kills 2 in Iraq’s Mosul

A car bomb blast in the northern Iraqi city of Mosul on Friday killed at least two people and wounded 10 others, a local medical official said. (File/AFP)
Updated 08 March 2019

Car bomb blast kills 2 in Iraq’s Mosul

  • Mosul has been the site of several bomb blasts in recent months
  • Militants have adapted their tactics to insurgent-style attacks since Daesh was defeated in Iraq in 2017 and driven out of areas it had controlled for years

MOSUL: A car bomb blast in the northern Iraqi city of Mosul on Friday killed at least two people — a child and a member of the security forces — and wounded 10 others, a local medical official said.
Security sources reported earlier that the blast in Mosul’s Muthanna district wounded at least five security personnel, but the number of wounded was set to rise.
It was the second explosion in just over a week to hit the city which was Daesh’s de facto capital from 2014 to 2017. Such incidents are usually blamed on Daesh militants still at large in parts of northern Iraq. There was no immediate claim of responsibility.
Mosul has been the site of several bomb blasts in recent months. In last week’s attack a car packed with explosives blew up killing two people and wounding another 24 near Mosul University.
Militants have adapted their tactics to insurgent-style attacks since Daesh was defeated in Iraq in 2017 and driven out of areas it had controlled for years. Daesh militants are currently facing an assault by US-backed forces in Syria in some of the last areas they hold.


Militant group says cease-fire reached to fighting in Gaza

Updated 7 min 44 sec ago

Militant group says cease-fire reached to fighting in Gaza

  • Spokesman Musab Al-Berim says the Egyptian-brokered deal went into effect at 5:30 a.m. Thursday
  • The fighting broke out early Tuesday after Israel killed a senior commander of the militant group

GAZA: A militant group says a cease-fire has been reached to end two days of heavy fighting with Israel.

Spokesman Musab Al-Berim says the Egyptian-brokered deal went into effect at 5:30 a.m. (0330 GMT) Thursday.

He says the cease-fire was based on a list of demands presented by his group late Wednesday, including a halt to Israeli targeted killings of the group’s leaders.

Israel will follow suit if Palestinian fighters in the Gaza Strip stop cross-border attacks, an Israeli official said on Thursday, denying that Israel had changed open-fire policy as demanded by the militant group for a truce.

“Quiet will be answered with quiet,” Foreign Minister Israel Katz told Army Radio. “The State of Israel will not hesitate to strike at those who try to harm it, from the Gaza Strip or from anywhere else.”

The fighting broke out early Tuesday after Israel killed a senior commander of the militant group.

There was no immediate comment from Israel.