KSRelief launches $1 million Ramadan aid program in Afghanistan

KSRelief is actively involved in humanitarian work in various war zones and areas hit by natural calamities. (SPA)
Updated 06 May 2019

KSRelief launches $1 million Ramadan aid program in Afghanistan

  • Food distribution across Yemen continues

KABUL/MARIB, Yemen: The King Salman Humanitarian Aid and Relief Center (KSRelief) on Monday launched relief activities worth $1 million in five Afghan provinces.

The center will distribute 20,000 food baskets among needy people in the war-torn country during the month of Ramadan. The aid program was launched in the presence of Saudi Ambassador to Afghanistan Jassim Al-Khalidi, Afghan Minister for Refugees and Repatriation Sayed Hussain Alemi Balkhi and other senior Afghan officials. 

KSRelief is actively involved in humanitarian work in various war zones and areas suffering from grave threats or hit by natural calamities. 

The center also distributed 3,100 cartons of meat among 12,400 needy people in different parts of Yemen’s Al-Mahra governorate. On Monday, KSRelief distributed 2,600 cartons of dates among 15,600 poor in Al-Mukalla directorate of Hadramaut governorate.

Saudi Arabia’s financial contributions to international organizations and entities have reached $929,711,258, according to official statistics. 

Development aid amounted to $493.88 billion and humanitarian aid to $353.44 billion, while philanthropic aid reached $82.381 billion.

The top five recipient countries of aid from Saudi Arabia are Yemen, Syria, Egypt, Niger and Mauritania.

Recently, the UN under-secretary-general for humanitarian affairs and emergency relief coordinator has praised the Saudi government and KSRelief for their humanitarian work in Yemen.

Mark Lowcock sent a letter of thanks to KSRelief’s Supervisor General Abdullah Al-Rabeeah.

“I would like to thank you for participating in the ‘high-level pledging event for the humanitarian crisis in Yemen’ that took place on Feb. 26, and particularly for your government’s generous contribution to support the humanitarian response in Yemen,” Lowcock wrote.

“The event was a great success to which member states and partners pledged $2.62 billion in support of the Yemen Humanitarian Response Plan,” he added.

“Your generous pledge of $750 million was central to the success of the event, and will significantly contribute to the alleviation of the suffering of the people of Yemen.”

Saudi Arabia is a key partner in the multilateral humanitarian system, Lowcock said, adding: “I look forward to our continued collaboration to ensure that together, we provide the Yemeni people with opportunities for a better future.”

The number of Yemenis who benefited last year from medical services provided by KSRelief was 2,501,897.

The center provides medical services to all Yemenis in coordination with the Yemeni Higher Relief Committee, represented by the Yemeni Ministry of Health and Population, and with local and international partners. 

The Kingdom has undertaken a number of initiatives, including a program to rehabilitate child soldiers recruited by the Houthi militias currently fighting coalition forces in the country, and the Saudi Project for Landmine Clearance in Yemen.


Saudi Embassy evacuates 300 tourists from Lebanon

Updated 19 October 2019

Saudi Embassy evacuates 300 tourists from Lebanon

  • The embassy said that evacuees were escorted to Rafic Hariri International Airport in Beirut by Lebanese security forces to guarantee their safety
  • Three Saudia aircraft were used to transport them

BEIRUT: Saudi Arabia's embassy in Lebanon has confirmed it has facilitated the “evacuation of Saudi residents and visitors” from the country.
“The evacuation operation, imposed by the security situation in Lebanon and the importance of ensuring the safety of Saudi nationals, started Saturday at 5 a.m. after the Kingdom secured three Saudia aircraft to transport them,” the embassy told Arab News.
“Three hundred people were evacuated as of Saturday afternoon, while the total number of those wishing to leave remains unclear. We have identified a hotel in Beirut as a starting point,” it added, noting that most of those who had left were tourists.
The embassy also confirmed evacuees were escorted to Rafic Hariri International Airport in Beirut by Lebanese security forces to guarantee their safety.
Protests broke out in Lebanon on Thursday night, and disorder has disrupted roads leading to the airport, with burning tires blocking several key routes.
On Friday, the Saudi Ministry of Foreign Affairs urged its citizens already in Lebanon to exercise “utmost caution.”
Egypt’s Embassy in Beirut also called on its nationals in the country to avoid protest areas, Egyptian state news agency MENA said.
“The embassy calls on all Egyptian citizens in Lebanon to avoid the areas of gatherings and protests, to be careful in their movements and to abide by the instructions of the Lebanese authorities in this regard,” MENA reported.
Meanwhile, Kuwait’s Embassy in Lebanon asked citizens wishing to travel to the country to delay trips where possible.
“The embassy also calls on citizens currently in Lebanon to take utmost care and stay away from crowds and demonstrations,” it said on social media site Twitter.
Bahrain and the UAE warned against travel to Lebanon and called on their citizens in the country to leave immediately.