GEA launches Saudi talent competition with SR20 million prize

Updated 13 July 2019

GEA launches Saudi talent competition with SR20 million prize

  • The program will accept applicants until the end of July before evaluations and nominations start in August.
  • The winners will take home SR20 million ($5.3 million)

JEDDAH: The General Entertainment Authority (GEA) is offering young Saudis a chance to shine with GEA Challenges, a national program to discover talent in Saudi Arabia.

The program will accept applicants until the end of July before evaluations and nominations start in August. The winners will take home SR20 million ($5.3 million).

It hopes to provide training opportunities to the Kingdom’s rising stars to develop them into global artists.

GEA Challenges will cover 20 entertainment categories, including playing instruments and singing, comedy scripts and content, graffiti, animation, films, acting, on-screen fashion, culinary arts, and circus and acrobatic talents. 

In August, GEA Challenges will move on to its second phase, which is evaluation and nomination. This will be followed by talent judging in September and voting, before the winners are announced in October.

Winners will be notified by e-mail and mobile. Prizes will include training programs, tools and resources to enable their professional development.

The applicants are not expected to be professionals in their field. The committee will be taking passion, originality and relevance towards the selected challenge into consideration.

The GEA Challenges is sponsored by the GEA and supervised by Tam Hub, a Saudi media and information sciences company.

A full list of the competition regulations can be found on www.geachallenges.com.


King Salman urges Iran to junk its expansionist ideology

Updated 21 November 2019

King Salman urges Iran to junk its expansionist ideology

  • Saudi Arabia has suffered from the policies and practices of the Iranian regime and its proxies, king says
  • Kingdom also welcomed US decision to return Iran's Fordow nuclear facility to its sanctions list

RIYADH: Iran should abandon its expansionist ideology that has only “harmed” its own people, Saudi Arabia's King Salman said on Wednesday, following violent street protests in the Islamic republic.

A wave of demonstrations erupted in the sanctions-hit country on Friday after an announcement that petrol prices would be raised by as much as 200 percent with immediate effect.

“We hope the Iranian regime chooses the side of wisdom and realizes there is no way to overcome the international position that rejects its practices, without abandoning its expansionist and destructive thinking that has harmed its own people,” the king told the consultative Shoura Council.

“The kingdom has suffered from the policies and practices of the Iranian regime and its proxies,” King Salman said, quoted by the foreign ministry, reiterating that Riyadh does not seek war but is “ready to defend its people.”

A satellite image from Sept. 15, 2017, of the Fordow nuclear facility in Iran. (Google Earth)

Saudi Arabia has welcomed Washington's decision to return the Fordow nuclear facility in Iran to the sanctions list. 

Washington said on Monday that it will no longer waive sanctions related to Iran’s Fordow nuclear plant after Tehran resumed uranium enrichment at the underground site. 

“The right amount of uranium enrichment for the world’s largest state sponsor of terror is zero ... There is no legitimate reason for Iran to resume enrichment at this previously clandestine site,” US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo told reporters earlier this week.