Ravi Shastri reappointed India’s cricket coach

Former Indian cricketer Ravi Shastri has been reappointed as head coach of the men’s cricket team, a cricket board selection panel announced Friday. (Action Images via Reuters)
Updated 16 August 2019

Ravi Shastri reappointed India’s cricket coach

  • Publicly backed by Indian captain Virat Kohli, 57-year-old Shastri was always the frontrunner
  • Phil Simmons had backed out of the interview last minute

NEW DELHI: Former Indian cricketer Ravi Shastri has been reappointed as head coach of the men’s cricket team, a cricket board selection panel announced Friday.
Publicly backed by Indian captain Virat Kohli, 57-year-old Shastri was always the frontrunner.
He saw off competition from former Indian all-rounder Robin Singh, former team manager Lalchand Rajput, former New Zealand coach Mike Hesson, Australian cricket coach Tom Moody and former West Indies coach Phil Simmons.
Simmons had backed out of the interview last minute, news agency PTI reported.
The remaining candidates were interviewed by a three-member cricket advisory committee panel which included World Cup-winning captain Kapil Dev, ex-national coach Anshuman Gaekwad and ex-women’s team captain Shantha Rangaswamy.
Dev announced the decision at a Friday press conference.
After missing out on the coach’s job to Anil Kumble in 2016, Shastri was selected as the team’s head coach a year later for a term extending to the end of the 2019 World Cup.
He was given a 45-day extension for the current West Indies tour.
Shastri coached India to a historic first-ever test series win in Australia earlier this year following Test losses in South Africa and England.
Since he took the job, India have won 13 Tests out of 21, 25 out of 36 T20 matches and 43 out of 60 ODIs.
Shashtri was an all-rounder best known as part of the India’s World Cup-winning squad in 1983 and his man of the series performance in India’s World Championship triumph in Australia in 1985.
He was also team director from 2014 to 2016.
Shastri played 80 Tests and 150 one-day internationals for India before becoming a successful TV commentator.


Turkey defends footballers saluting soldiers

Updated 2 min 6 sec ago

Turkey defends footballers saluting soldiers

ISTANBUL: Turkey’s sports minister voiced support on Tuesday for national team players who saluted the country’s soldiers during their Euro 2020 match with France.
Sports Minister Mehmet Muharrem Kasapoglu described the controversial goal celebration — in which players were seen as supporting Turkey’s current military operation in Syria — as a “nice salute.”
France drew 1-1 with Turkey in the Euro 2020 qualifier amid mounting tensions after Paris condemned Turkey’s military operation against Kurdish militants in Syria.
European football’s ruling body UEFA had already said it would “examine” a military salute given by Turkish players during an earlier match against Albania.
But the sports minister said the controversy was unwarranted, and pointed to the fact that French star Antoine Griezmann had also given a military salute to President Emmanuel Macron in June.
“Those who remained quiet about Griezmann’s military salute are trying to distort our national footballers’ nice salute,” Kasapoglu said in a televised press conference, holding up a picture of Griezmann’s salute.
He said critics were trying to distract from Turkey’s success in staying top of the qualifying group.
“Those who are trying to block out their failure on the pitch should give up on their efforts. The result is clear,” Kasapoglu said.
Kasapoglu also warned UEFA to be “prudent” in its investigation of the salutes.
Turkey’s operation against Kurdish militants in Syria, launched a week ago, has been widely criticized by the international community but has drawn widespread support at home.