Nine suspected militants killed in Egypt: ministry

Police raids to the east and south of Cairo targeted hideouts of “terrorist elements.” (File photo: Reuters)
Updated 18 September 2019

Nine suspected militants killed in Egypt: ministry

  • Police raids in Cairo targeted hideouts of “terrorist elements”
  • Those killed included “a commander of the Liwa Al-Thawra” extremist group

CAIRO: Nine suspected extremists including a commander have been killed in shootouts with police in suburbs of the Egyptian capital, the interior ministry said Wednesday.
Police raids to the east and south of Cairo targeted hideouts of “terrorist elements,” it said in a statement.
Those killed included “a commander of the Liwa Al-Thawra” extremist group, it added.
The Liwa Al-Thawra movement appeared in 2016 and has since claimed deadly attacks against the police and the Egyptian army.
Almost nine years after the 2011 uprising that toppled president Hosni Mubarak, security remains a chief concern in Egypt.
Hundreds of security personnel have died in an escalation of attacks since the military overthrow of Islamist president Muhammad Mursi in 2013.
That ouster was led by then army chief Abdel Fattah El-Sisi, who became president after 2014 polls and secured re-election last year with an official 97 percent of the vote.
In February 2018, the army launched a nationwide offensive against extremists, focused mainly on North Sinai, where the Daesh extremist group has a significant presence.
The authorities say some 650 suspected extremists and around 50 soldiers have been killed since.


Bahrain tells people to avoid gatherings to help reduce COVID-19 infections

Updated 53 min 43 sec ago

Bahrain tells people to avoid gatherings to help reduce COVID-19 infections

  • Al-Manea said the Kingdom had taken all precautionary measures to curb the coronavirus spread since the beginning of the pandemic

DUBAI: People in Bahrain have been told to avoid gatherings for the next two weeks to help reduce the number of infected coronavirus cases, state news agency BNA reported citing Health Ministry Undersecretary Waleed Khalifa Al-Manea.
Al-Manea said the Kingdom had taken all precautionary measures to curb the coronavirus spread since the beginning of the pandemic.
He further explained the danger of gatherings that happen without abiding by preventive measures as they lead to a spike in infections, and then a depletion of resources and efforts made in previous stages.