Hosni Mubarak reminisces about 1973 war in video message

Screengrab from Mubarak Archives on YouTube.
Updated 16 October 2019

Hosni Mubarak reminisces about 1973 war in video message

  • Former Egyptian president shares his memories on 46th anniversary of conflict
  • YouTube video racks almost 150,000 views in four hours and channel attracts 11,000 subscribers

RIYADH: The first video posted by “Mubarak’s Archive,” a YouTube channel launched in the name of former Egyptian president Hosni Mubarak, was viewed almost than 150,000 times within four hours of being uploaded on Tuesday night. The channel attracted 11,000 subscribers in that time.

During the 26-minute video, Mubarak talked about the October 1973 Arab-Israeli War and praised the Egyptian Air Force for the role it had played. He was the commander of the Air Force and deputy minister of defense at the time of the three-week conflict.

“The Egyptian Air Force fully carried out its duties in striking the enemy’s operations center in the October 1973 War,” he said.

At the start of the video, Mubarak said: “To begin, I have to talk about late President Anwar Sadat, who took the decision to go to war. He was a very brave and courageous man. Today as we celebrate the Oct. 6 (1973) war victory, the same date he was killed (by assassins in 1981), I have to salute him.”

The former president also talked about the June 1967 Six-Day War, which he argued was not actually a war.

“We were hit without prior notice and without having a plan,” he said. “I believe I was in an operation center in mid-May and I returned to the airport where they informed me that there was a state of emergency had been announced.

“A commissioner from the General Command came on June 3 and said that there was a political demonstration and we would send troops to Sinai. The division’s leader had no idea who was getting in and out.”

Mubarak’s son Alaa had earlier posted a message to his Twitter account announcing the video featuring his father. “President Mubarak remembers some October War memories…tonight at 8.30 p.m,” he wrote.

Mubarak, who was deposed following an uprising in 2011 after almost 30 years as Egyptian President, was last seen publicly on December 26, 2018, when he testified at the trial of his ousted successor, Mohammed Morsi, and others.
 


Facebook’s Zuckerberg promises a review of content policies after backlash

Updated 06 June 2020

Facebook’s Zuckerberg promises a review of content policies after backlash

  • Trump's message contained the phrase "when the looting starts, the shooting starts"

WASHINGTON: Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg on Friday said he would consider changes to the policy that led the company to leave up controversial posts by President Donald Trump during recent demonstrations protesting the death of an unarmed black man while in police custody, a partial concession to critics.
Zuckerberg did not promise specific policy changes in a Facebook post, days after staff members walked off the job, some claiming he kept finding new excuses not to challenge Trump.
"I know many of you think we should have labeled the President's posts in some way last week," Zuckerberg wrote, referring to his decision not to remove Trump's message containing the phrase "when the looting starts, the shooting starts."
"We're going to review our policies allowing discussion and threats of state use of force to see if there are any amendments we should adopt," he wrote. "We're going to review potential options for handling violating or partially-violating content aside from the binary leave-it-up or take-it-down decisions."
Zuckerberg said Facebook would be more transparent about its decision-making on whether to take down posts, review policies on posts that could cause voter suppression and would look to build software to advance racial justice, led by important lieutenants.
At a staff meeting earlier this week, employees questioned Zuckerberg's stance on Trump's post.
Zuckerberg, who holds a controlling stake in Facebook, has maintained that while he found Trump's comments "deeply offensive," they did not violate company policy against incitements to violence.
Facebook's policy is either to take down a post or leave it up, without any other options. Now, Zuckerberg said, other possibilities would be considered.
However, he added, "I worry that this approach has a risk of leading us to editorialize on content we don't like even if it doesn't violate our policies."