Juventus, Lazio set their goals at Saudi press conferences

Juventus coach Maurizio Sarri and defender Leonardo Bonucci address the media. (AN photo)
Short Url
Updated 22 December 2019

Juventus, Lazio set their goals at Saudi press conferences

  • Lazio are strong, both physically and technically

RIYADH: At a press conference ahead of their Italian Super Cup match against Lazio on Sunday night, coach Maurizio Sarri and defender Leonardo Bonucci of Juventus addressed the media at King Saudi University stadium and expressed their optimism about the game.

Sarri said: “I feel good about the game. We have flaws, but we can work on it despite the absence of a few players due to injuries like Chiellini and Sami Khedira.”

“Lazio are strong, both physically and technically. It’s amazing that they didn’t get into the Champions League last year. Tomorrow (Sunday), in a one-off game they can be even more dangerous.”

Bonucci added: “The game against Lazio a few weeks ago taught us that in certain competitions the details make a difference; every game is a story unto itself, we know we face a very good team, but we are also fine.”

He also praised the opposition, saying: “They are a strong group and have a good coach. The game will need a perfect Juve. However, we are fully ready for them.”

At a Lazio press conference, coach Simone Inzaghi and Senad Lulic told the media that they were happy to be in Saudi Arabia and looking forward to an intensive match against Juventus.

He said: “We are facing a team that has a great amount of capacity, intensity and quality. What I recommended to my team is that we need to remain concentrated. It won’t be a game like the league. You play a trophy in one night, you won’t make any mistakes, because you face two teams that can hurt at any time. Juventus have great qualities; we will have to be very focused.”

Meanwhile, Lazio’s midfielder Senad Lulic said: “It’s a pleasure for us to play here against a strong opponent like Juventus, one of the best in Italy and abroad. Miralem Pjanic is a strong player, like many of Juve’s champions. We will be ready to face them and tomorrow we will see who has the greater desire to win this cup.”


Maradona’s doctor investigated for involuntary manslaughter

Updated 29 November 2020

Maradona’s doctor investigated for involuntary manslaughter

  • Police raided Leopoldo Luque's surgery and home in search of possible evidence pointing to negligence
  • The probe was triggered by concerns raised by three of Maradona's daughters over the treatment he received

BUENOS AIRES: Diego Maradona's personal doctor was on Sunday being investigated for involuntary manslaughter four days after the Argentina legend suffered a fatal heart attack, prosecutors in San Isidro near Buenos Aires reported.
Police raided Leopoldo Luque's surgery and home in search of possible evidence pointing to negligence, according to television images.
The probe was triggered by concerns raised by three of Maradona's daughters Dalma, Giannina and Jana over the treatment he received for his heart condition at his home in Tigre, north of Buenos Aires, judicial sources said.
"Our investigations are ongoing, we are talking to witnesses including members of the family" of Maradona, a source close to the San Isidro inquiry said.
Luque, who declined to comment when contacted by AFP, had posted a photograph of himself with Maradona on the day the 60-year-old left hospital on November 12, eight days after surgery to remove a blood clot on his brain.
Maradona returned home to Tigre where he received round the clock medical care. He died of a heart attack on Wednesday, and was buried on Thursday at the Jardin de Paz cemetery on the outskirts of the Argentine capital.