Vandals cut off nose of Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s statue in Malmo

In this photo taken on Sunday, the defaced statue of Zlatan Ibrahimovic is seen in Malmo, Sweden. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 23 December 2019

Vandals cut off nose of Zlatan Ibrahimovic’s statue in Malmo

  • A petition has been set up to remove the statue, with more than 8,000 people signing it

MALMO: The statue of Swedish soccer star Zlatan Ibrahimovic has been the target of more vandalism.

This time, its nose has been chopped off.

Ibrahimovic angered fans of his boyhood club, Malmo, last month when he bought a stake in one of its title rivals, Hammarby, and outlined his desire to make the Stockholm-based team “the best in Scandinavia.”

Hours after that was announced, a statue of Ibrahimovic that is located outside Malmo’s stadium was attacked, with vandals attempting to set it on fire and writing racist graffiti next to it. On Dec. 12, there was an attempt to saw off the statue’s legs.

Now, its nose has been cut off and the bronze statue has been sprayed silver. A petition has been set up to remove the statue, with more than 8,000 people signing it.

Ibrahimovic has said he will not play in Sweden again — he started his career at Malmo, where he was born, in 1999 — and is still weighing up where to play next. 

He recently left the Los Angeles Galaxy in Major League Soccer, having previously played for Ajax, Barcelona, AC Milan, Inter Milan, Paris Saint-Germain and Manchester United in a trophy-laden career.

Carlo Ancelotti, who was hired as manager of English club Everton at the weekend, suggested Ibrahimovic could be one of his first signings.

Speaking at his presentation at Everton on Monday, Ancelotti said: “Zlatan Ibrahimovic is a good friend of mine. He was my player (at PSG). Fortunately I have trained a lot of fantastic players.

“But Ibrahimovic has finished his period in the United States and I don’t know what is his idea. I have to call him.”

Ancelotti then added: “Maybe I’ll call him and (ask) if he wants to come to Liverpool to enjoy — but not to play.”


Maradona’s doctor investigated for involuntary manslaughter

Updated 39 min 43 sec ago

Maradona’s doctor investigated for involuntary manslaughter

  • Police raided Leopoldo Luque's surgery and home in search of possible evidence pointing to negligence
  • The probe was triggered by concerns raised by three of Maradona's daughters over the treatment he received

BUENOS AIRES: Diego Maradona's personal doctor was on Sunday being investigated for involuntary manslaughter four days after the Argentina legend suffered a fatal heart attack, prosecutors in San Isidro near Buenos Aires reported.
Police raided Leopoldo Luque's surgery and home in search of possible evidence pointing to negligence, according to television images.
The probe was triggered by concerns raised by three of Maradona's daughters Dalma, Giannina and Jana over the treatment he received for his heart condition at his home in Tigre, north of Buenos Aires, judicial sources said.
"Our investigations are ongoing, we are talking to witnesses including members of the family" of Maradona, a source close to the San Isidro inquiry said.
Luque, who declined to comment when contacted by AFP, had posted a photograph of himself with Maradona on the day the 60-year-old left hospital on November 12, eight days after surgery to remove a blood clot on his brain.
Maradona returned home to Tigre where he received round the clock medical care. He died of a heart attack on Wednesday, and was buried on Thursday at the Jardin de Paz cemetery on the outskirts of the Argentine capital.