Education minister issues extraordinary measures for Saudi students abroad

Saudi students visit booths of Canadian universities during international education exbibition in Riyadh in this April 19, 2011 file photo. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 30 March 2020

Education minister issues extraordinary measures for Saudi students abroad

RIYADH: The Saudi Minister of Education Dr. Hamad bin Mohammed Al-Shaikh issued a decision including several extraordinary measures aimed at improving the conditions of students on scholarship programs abroad, and those accompanying them, in light of the coronavirus pandemic.

This comes as part of the leadership’s commitment to Saudi students all over the world in order to keep them safe.

Financial allocations, medical insurance and treatment payments will continue to be allocated to the students and their companions, including those whose allocations were previously suspended or whose programs ended but are still living abroad.

The deputy minister of education for universities, research and innovation, Dr. Hatem bin Hamza Al-Marzouki, will be in charge of preparing the appropriate mechanisms and implementing the moves in coordination with the Kingdom’s embassies.


Saudi minister calls on worshippers to respect safety measures in mosques

Updated 28 May 2020

Saudi minister calls on worshippers to respect safety measures in mosques

RIYADH: Saudi Arabia's minister of Islamic affairs called on Muslims to respect ongoing preventative measures to stop the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19) inside mosques as the Kingdom eases some restrictions.

Sheikh Abdullatif Al-Asheikh said worshipers should bring their own prayer mats, wear masks and wash their hands prior to coming to the mosque to ensure the safety of other worshippers. 

Al-Asheikh said preventative measures will remain in place to ensure a safe return of worshipers to mosques for Friday prayers from May 31 until June 20, except in Makkah. 

Worshippers must keep two meters apart and leave a row of space empty between each row, he said.

The minister said the elderly and children under 15 should continue to avoid going to the mosque. 

The instructions follow other announcements in the Kingdom relaxing aspects of the lockdown, including reducing curfews and allowing freer movement of people.