Kuwait army airlifts coronavirus medical supplies from China

A Kuwait army transport plane has returned from China on Wednesday, loaded with tons of medical equipment and supplies to be used in the fight against coronavirus. (KUNA)
Short Url
Updated 09 April 2020

Kuwait army airlifts coronavirus medical supplies from China

DUBAI: A Kuwait army transport plane has returned from China on Wednesday, loaded with tons of medical equipment and supplies to help the government stem the spread of the highly contagious coronavirus, state news agency KUNA reported, quoting the Gulf country’s defense department.

The transport aircraft, loaded with 55 tons of medical supplies, took off from the Chinese city of Ghuangzhou and is the seventh army plane to fly as part of Kuwait’s repatriation and delivery operations aimed at providing logistical support for the government’s fight against the virus.


Lebanon army surveys 85,000 building units post-Beirut blast

Updated 4 min 44 sec ago

Lebanon army surveys 85,000 building units post-Beirut blast

  • The August 4 explosion at Beirut port killed more than 190 people
  • The army surveyed 60,818 housing units, 19,115 businesses, 1,137 heritage units, 962 restaurants, 82 teaching institutions and 12 hospitals, among other untis
BEIRUT: Lebanon’s army said Saturday it has carried out a survey of more than 85,000 dwellings, businesses and other building units damaged by the massive Beirut port blast last month.
The August 4 explosion of hundreds of tons of ammonium nitrate stored at Beirut port killed more than 190 people, wounded thousands and ravaged large parts of the capital.
“A total of 85,744 affected units have been surveyed,” the army said.
It had surveyed 60,818 housing units, 19,115 businesses, 1,137 heritage units, 962 restaurants, 82 teaching institutions and 12 hospitals, among other untis.
It recorded almost 550,000 square meters (half a square kilometer) of glass ravaged, and well as 140,000 square meters of glass facades broken.
More than 108,000 doors had been damaged, the survey showed.
The army said it was still looking for nine people — three Lebanese, five Syrians and an Egyptian — still missing after the blast.
The survey “is considered to be sufficient, and there is therefore no need for further surveys by donor countries,” it said in a statement.
The army said the donors, non-governmental organizations or volunteers could request access to the results.
On August 9, international donors pledged over 250 million euros (around $300 million) in emergency aid, in a video conference jointly organized by France and the United Nations.
French President Emmanuel Macron vowed in early September during a second visit to Lebanon since the blast to host a second conference in Paris in the second half of October.