Saudi Arabia: UN Aramco attacks report ‘leaves no doubt’ over Iran’s hostile intentions

Foreign minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan said the security council meeting was a “reminder for the international community to take a firm stance against the Iranian regime’s aggression and terror.” (SPA/File Photo)
Short Url
Updated 01 July 2020

Saudi Arabia: UN Aramco attacks report ‘leaves no doubt’ over Iran’s hostile intentions

  • Foreign Ministry’s statement echoed calls made by Pompeo for extension of arms embargo on regime

LONDON: Saudi Arabia’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs welcomed Tuesday a UN report confirming Iranian involvement in attacks on Saudi Aramco facilities in September 2019.

A foreign ministry statement said the findings of UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres’ report “leaves no doubt for the international community about Iran’s hostile intentions towards the Kingdom in particular, the Arab region and the wider world in general.”

The report was also welcomed by the Kingdom’s Permanent Representative to the UN.
One of the first steps in the fight against Iranian expansion in the region is recognizing the problem, Abdullah Al-Mouallimi said.
Iran has created a web of support in the region through the years and it requires international cooperation to stop its activities, Al-Mouallimi added.

Guterres presented his report to a virtual gathering of the Security Council on Tuesday, implicating the Iranian regime in attacks last year on oil installations in Abqaiq and Khurais in the east of the Kingdom.

The ministry’s statement also echoed calls made during the virtual meeting by US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo for an extension of an arms embargo on Iran.

--------

READ MORE: Pompeo to UN: Ending Iran arms ban would mean ‘sword of Damocles’ over region

Arab Coalition seizes 2 Iranian weapon shipments heading to Houthis in Yemen

--------

It said the report’s findings also highlighted Iran’s continuous aggressive approach to destabilizing the region’s security, and the regime’s logistical, military and financial support for armed terrorist militias in Yemen, Iraq, Syria and Lebanon — something it did with “no regard for international laws and treaties or the principles of good-neighborliness.”

Foreign minister Prince Faisal bin Farhan said the security council meeting was a “reminder for the international community to take a firm stance against the Iranian regime’s aggression and terror.”

 

 

The details and facts laid out in the UN report “reinforce our support for a continued ban on arming the Iranian regime, and confronting its developing nuclear and ballistic programs,” he said on Twitter.

The ministry added that the Kingdom would not allow transgression of its borders and threats to its national security — or threats to the safety of international waterways — posed by the “hostile behavior of Iran.”


More than half-a-million people benefit from Tetamman clinics, Takkad centers in Saudi Arabia

Police officials continue to implement precautionary and preventive measures to confront the COVID-19 pandemic. (SPA)
Updated 42 min 27 sec ago

More than half-a-million people benefit from Tetamman clinics, Takkad centers in Saudi Arabia

  • Epidemiological analysis over the past two weeks showed that critical cases fluctuated between 2,000 to 2,500

JEDDAH: Health Ministry spokesman Dr. Mohammed Al-Abd Al-Aly revealed on Sunday that more than 500,000 people have visited Tetamman clinics and Takkad (make sure) centers to test for COVID-19.
Takkad centers are designated for those who do not have symptoms, or who have mild symptoms, and believe that they might have came into contact with a person infected with COVID-19.
The clinics are also dedicated to helping individuals with COVID-19 symptoms such as sore throat, fever, shortness of breath and coughing.
“These are proactive measures to detect the infection and treat it at the earliest,” the spokesman said.
“The individual will isolate themselves for the needed period to protect themselves and protect those around them.”
Patients can visit the centers without appointments if they suspect they have an infection.
About 235 clinics are distributed in various cities across the Kingdom, where they have provided services to 208,000 beneficiaries so far, according to the MOH.
The centers provide a COVID-19 testing service after booking appointments via the Sehaty app. So far, the beneficiaries of Takkad centers have totaled 357,000.
The spokesman said at Sunday’s press conference that epidemiological analysis over the past two weeks showed that critical cases fluctuated between 2,000 to 2,500.  
“The number of critical cases increased to almost 1 percent, from last week until now. Two-thirds of admitted patient cases are chronic illnesses other than COVID-19, half of the number of admitted patients are elderly and most critical cases are reaching the final stages of recovery and are responding to treatment,” Al-Aly said.
The Kingdom recorded a total of 3,580 new cases of COVID-19 on Sunday, meaning 209,509 people in Saudi Arabia have now contracted the disease. There were 62,357 active cases, 2,283 of them critical.
Al-Aly announced 1,980 new recovered cases, taking the total number of recoveries to 145,236 while 58 new deaths had been reported, raising the death toll to 1,916.