More than 100 UAE residents tamper with their COVID-19 results to enter Abu Dhabi

Abu Dhabi requires residents going through its border checkpoints to present proof they are negative for coronavirus. (AFP file photo)
Short Url
Updated 24 July 2020

More than 100 UAE residents tamper with their COVID-19 results to enter Abu Dhabi

  • Abu Dhabi recently updated its travel rules to allow residents to take 48-hour trips outside the emirate

DUBAI: More than 100 UAE residents have been referred to federal authorities for legal action after tampering with the messages of their COVID-19 results to pass through Abu Dhabi’s border checkpoints.

The accused, of different nationalities, have been detained by police and their cases were referred for prosecution, Salem Al-Zaabi, Acting Director of the Federal Emergency, Crisis and Disasters Prosecution, said in a report from state news agency WAM.

“The move falls within the efforts made by the relevant state authorities to counter the COVID-19 pandemic, curb the virus’ spread and ensure the compliance of all Emiratis and residents with the instructions taken by the relevant authorities,” Al-Zaabi said.

Abu Dhabi recently updated its travel rules to allow residents to take 48-hour trips outside the emirate, but must be tested in the city before they leave. Police at border checkpoints check text message confirmation from testing centers or the Al Hosn tracing app to ensure all motorists are negative from coronavirus.

“The Public Prosecution calls upon the public to comply with the preventive and precautionary measures, including all the decisions taken by the relevant government authorities, in order to avoid legal liability,” Al-Zaabi said.

“Legal action will be taken against all those who fail to comply with the COVID-19 countermeasures in order to ensure the safety of the society and its protection and support the government measures taken to stem the fallout of the pandemic on the various heath, economic and social aspects of life.”


Arab nations send food, medical supplies to disaster-hit Lebanon

Updated 09 August 2020

Arab nations send food, medical supplies to disaster-hit Lebanon

  • Saudi Arabia at the forefront of an international relief air bridge for Lebanon

DUBAI: Arab nations are rushing to provide humanitarian relief to disaster-hit Lebanon, delivering planeloads of food and medical supplies to aid those affected by the massive explosion that rocked Beirut on Tuesday.

The devastating blast, thought to be caused by a stockpile of ammonium nitrate unsafely stored in a port warehouse, left a trail of damage over much of the capital and killed more than 150 people and injured thousands of others.

A UAE transport plane carrying 40 metric tons of critical medicine and food items, as well as nutritional supplements for children, arrived in the Lebanese capital as part of the assistance being implemented by the Emirates Red Crescent.

“A comprehensive phased humanitarian plan has been put in place in response to the crisis, and during this stage the focus is laid on providing medical supplies in support of the Lebanese health facilities under the current tough circumstances to help them respond to the needs of the large number of victims,” Dr Mohammed Atiq Al-Falahi, the ERC Secretary General, said in a report from state news agency WAM.

Saudi Arabia is at the forefront of an international relief air bridge, with about 200 tons of medical and emergency supplies so far delivered by the three aircraft dispatched to Lebanon.

Egypt has dispatched a second military plane to Lebanon, loaded with large quantities of medical supplies and food.

Two aircraft from Kuwait laden with medical supplies and food have arrived at Beirut’s international airport as part of the ongoing aid efforts to help Lebanon.

“We have just received two Kuwaiti planes carrying emergency aid,” on instructions of the Kuwait leadership, embassy advisor Abdullah Al-Shaheen said, and added that support will continue “in this time of adversity.”