DUBAI: The Arab coalition intercepted and destroyed six Houthi drones targeting Saudi Arabia’s Khamis Mushait on Friday, state news agency SPA reported.
Spokesman Col Turki Al-Maliki said the militia’s attempts to attack civilians in a deliberate and systematic manner constitute war crimes.
He added that the coalition implements the necessary measures to protect civilians in accordance with international humanitarian law and its customary rules.
The UAE condemned the attempts of the Iranian-backed Houthi militia to target civilians in Khamis Mushait.
The foreign ministry confirmed that the continuation of these attacks in recent times is a dangerous escalation, and proves the militia’s efforts to undermine security and stability in the region.
The Ministry further renewed the UAE’s full solidarity with the Kingdom and supporting it in all the measures it takes to preserve its security and the safety of its citizens and residents.
Earlier on Thursday, the coalition also intercepted and destroyed a ballistic missile fired by Houthis towards Jazan.
The attack on Jazan comes days after the coalition thwarted a ballistic missile attack by the Iranian-backed Houthis on the Saudi capital Riyadh, and destroyed six armed drones launched towards cities in the Kingdom’s south.
The Kingdom has seen an increase in attacks by the militia after a Houthi attack on the Kingdom’s Abha International airport in February.
Yemen’s Foreign Minister Ahmed bin Mubarak condemned recent attacks by the Houthis, saying that they hindered the peace process and blamed Iran for the ongoing crisis in the country.
“The Iranian interventions have become a formidable obstruction to peace as Iran has turned the Yemeni conflict into a negotiating card that Iranian regime capitalizes on to serve its nuclear negotiations,” he said.