‘Beyond perfect’ De Bruyne takes Man City closer to Premier League title

‘Beyond perfect’ De Bruyne takes Man City closer to Premier League title
Manchester City's Kevin De Bruyne is handed the match ball by referee Martin Atkinson after scoring four goals in his team's 5-1 Premier League victory over Wolves on Wednesday. (Reuters)
Short Url
Updated 12 May 2022

‘Beyond perfect’ De Bruyne takes Man City closer to Premier League title

‘Beyond perfect’ De Bruyne takes Man City closer to Premier League title
  • De Bruyne’s was the third quickest hat trick in Premier League history and his first since he played for Genk 11 years ago

WOLVERHAMPTON, UK: Pep Guardiola described Kevin De Bruyne’s form as “beyond perfect” after the Belgian scored four goals in a 5-1 thrashing of Wolves that took Manchester City another step closer to retaining the Premier League.

Pep Guardiola’s men move three points clear of Liverpool with two games to play and boosted their goal difference to seven superior to the Reds.

City need just four points from Sunday’s trip to West Ham and the visit of Aston Villa on the final day of the season to be crowned champions for the fourth time in five years.

And with De Bruyne on this form, they will take some stopping as the Belgian produced his brilliant best to blow away the hosts with a hat-trick inside 24 minutes.

“The second part of the league was beyond perfect,” said Guardiola of De Bruyne’s form. “He is so generous. He always has the sense to make an assist, but now he is more clinical. He has the sense to score goals.

“He has been decisive scoring goals, this is what makes him the greatest. Scoring four goals in the decisive part of the league right now is so important.”

City broke the news on Tuesday that they have beaten Europe’s top clubs to the signature of Erling Haaland.

However, even the Norwegian goalscoring phenomenon would struggle to match the range of finishes off both feet dispatched by De Bruyne.

In keeping with their form in recent weeks, City looked to have dispelled any early nerves by scoring first as Bernardo Silva teed up De Bruyne to fire first time across Jose Sa.

The visitors, though, were without three key defenders in Kyle Walker, John Stones and Ruben Dias through injury and it showed.

Pedro Neto was allowed to gallop clear into the City box and picked out Leander Dendoncker to level on 11 minutes.

Parity only lasted another five minutes as De Bruyne was both creator and executioner of City’s second.

Raheem Sterling failed to connect with his pass through the heart of the Wolves defense, but Sa could only turn the ball back into De Bruyne’s path and he made no mistake.

The best was yet to come from the 30-year-old as he took aim from outside the box and arrowed a shot into the bottom corner to complete a hat-trick, with all three goals scored by his supposedly weaker left foot.

“My right is the stronger foot but I’m never afraid to shoot with my left because it creates a problem for the opposition,” said De Bruyne. “Whenever you get the opportunity, don’t hesitate.”

De Bruyne’s was the third quickest hat trick in Premier League history and his first since he played for Genk 11 years ago.

But there was even more to come after the break as he slotted home on his right foot after Phil Foden’s cross was deflected into his path.

More defensive injuries to Laporte and Fernandinho were the only negative of the night for City.

Yet, any deficiencies at the back are being masked by the firepower of Guardiola’s men at the moment.

Since a 2-2 draw with Liverpool left the title race still on a knife edge last month, City have scored 23 goals in five games.

Foden hit the post and Sterling missed a sitter with the goal gaping at the back post.

But Sterling could not miss another open goal when Joao Cancelo’s deflected cross fell his way six minutes from time.

De Bruyne nearly had time for a fifth of his own in the final minute as he curled off the post.

“When you score four goals it’s something special,” added De Bruyne. “It should’ve been five to be honest.”

However, another five-star performance was more than enough for City to give Liverpool little sign of encouragement they will cede ground down the home straight.


Milan to host fourth round of UAE President’s Cup horse race

Milan to host fourth round of UAE President’s Cup horse race
Updated 9 sec ago

Milan to host fourth round of UAE President’s Cup horse race

Milan to host fourth round of UAE President’s Cup horse race
  • Nine horses participating in Italian round to win cup by racing over 2km distance

LONDON: The San Siro Racecourse in Milan will host the fourth round of the 29th edition of the UAE President’s Cup World Series for Purebred Arabian Horses, Emirates News Agency (WAM) reported.

The cup’s races are supported and closely monitored by Sheikh Mansour bin Zayed Al-Nahyan, deputy prime minister and Minister of Presidential Affairs, who also works to ensure the sustainability of the UAE’s efforts to enhance promote purebred Arabian horses globally.

The cup began in May in France, followed by the US and Tunisia, which is the first country in the Arab region to host the series, before returning to Europe, as part of the UAE's efforts to encourage owners and breeders and showcase Emirati heritage.

Nine horses are participating in the Italian round to win the cup by racing over a distance of two kilometers.

Matar Suhail Al-Yabhouni, chairman of the Supreme Organizing Committee of the cup, said the event in Italy would be attended by owners and breeders and will receive major media coverage, noting the ongoing plans to support activities involving purebred Arabian horses.

Faisal Al-Rahmani, general coordinator of the cup, said the event in Italy will be a successful gathering of horses from around the world, highlighting the significant turnout of Italian and European horses.


Gamers8 event to partner with Aramco for simulated racing competition

Gamers8 event to partner with Aramco for simulated racing competition
Updated 9 min 41 sec ago

Gamers8 event to partner with Aramco for simulated racing competition

Gamers8 event to partner with Aramco for simulated racing competition
  • World’s leading integrated energy, chemicals firm extends support of esports in Saudi Arabia
  • Aramco will be title partner of Aramco Sim Arena during Gamers8, starting July 14

RIYADH: Gamers8, the world’s largest esports and gaming event, has announced that Saudi Aramco will be a strategic partner of this summer’s showpiece in Riyadh.

Organized by the Saudi Esports Federation, the eight-week event beginning July 14 will stage elite tournaments featuring a series of festivals, concerts, and shows. Aramco will be a title sponsor of the Aramco Sim Arena, a simulator zone for racing enthusiasts to compete in daily community tournaments.

Beyond gaming activities, Gamers8 and Aramco are using the competition to identify top local simulated racing talent for the development program launched during Gamers Without Borders.

The top sim drivers selected will receive specialized training with international professional sim drivers and coaches in the UK. A documentary film team will follow the trainees’ journey for future broadcast.

Ahmed Al-Bishri, chief operations officer of the Saudi Esports Federation, said: “We are delighted to welcome Aramco on board as a strategic partner, and thank them once again for pledging their support to the esports and gaming sector in Saudi Arabia.

“Gamers8 is set to be an incredible, showpiece spectacle in Riyadh this summer, blurring the lines between the physical and virtual worlds. The addition of Aramco as a strategic partner adds another layer of excellence to an event that will be an unforgettable occasion.”

Gamers8 will focus on four main pillars, which include professional esports, festivals, music, and The Next World Summit, an esports and gaming conference that will bring together sector leaders and experts from around the world.


Copenhagen gives Tour de France rapturous reception

Copenhagen gives Tour de France rapturous reception
Updated 30 June 2022

Copenhagen gives Tour de France rapturous reception

Copenhagen gives Tour de France rapturous reception
  • Denmark’ Crown Prince Frederick attended the official unveiling of the teams, two days before the 21-day Tour opens with a 13km time-trial, the first of three stages in Denmark

COPENHAGEN: Raucous crowds at the Copenhagen Tivoli theme park gave the Tour de France the kind of reception organizers could only have dreamed of on Wednesday.

The loudest cheers were for Danish riders such as Jonas Vingegaard and for the biggest names led by champion Tadej Pogacar.

Staff at the park said only rock stars had attracted such crowds before.

Pogacar, who rides for UAE Team Emirates’, said he was excited too.

“As a team we are ready, and me and as an individual I’m ready too, so I can’t wait to start of Friday with the time trial,” the Slovenian said.

Denmark’ Crown Prince Frederick attended the official unveiling of the teams, two days before the 21-day Tour opens with a 13km time-trial, the first of three stages in Denmark.

Tivoli Park has around 25 fairground rides. On Wednesday the 176 cyclists added one, riding round a special 1km track to be greeted by thousands of smiling, cheering and filming fans.

“I feel great, especially today with all these people in Copenhagen, you can only be happy.” said Pogacar.

Title challengers Primoz Roglic and Vingegaard, both of Jumbo Visma, said they believed their team’s two-leader strategy could finally deliver cycling’s most treasured prize.

Roglic, a Slovenian, came second in 2020 and Vingegaard in 2021, both times behind Pogacar.

“As long as we work together, doing as good as possible together, we believe that we can beat him,” Roglic said,

Roglic pulled out in week one last year afer a fall and on Wednesday denied feeling threatened by his junior partner Vingegaard, who shone in his absence.

“We make each other stronger. When you have strong individuals around, the whole team gets stronger,” said the 32-year-old triple Vuelta a Espana winner.

Vingegaard said he and Roglic enjoyed going for a beer together.

“Primoz and I are good friends also out of bike racing,” said the 25-year-old, , a former fish-factory worker from the small community of Hillerslev on Denmark’s North Sea coast.

Both Roglic and Vingegaard talked of surviving the first week.Team boss Merijn Zeeman rejected the notion.

“I don’t like the term ‘surviving’ because we are not afraid. We stay on the bike and stay up front,” Zeeman said of Jumbo’s tendency to race from the front.

“Surviving sounds like we are not sleeping at night because we are afraid of the first week.”

“In the best scenario, both of them are better than Pogacar.”

“It’s not a secret that Pogacar is the big favorite.

“We need everybody to be at his top level and we definitely need a two-leader strategy.

The once-mighty Ineos team last won the race with Egan Bernal three years ago.

On Wednesday, 2018 champion Geraint Thomas said he was more of a chaperone to Dani Martinez of Colombia and British rider Adam Yates as they chase Pogacar and Jumbo.

“Its going to be hard to beat them, but the vibe in the team is as good as ever, we have some good guys, there’s a good atmosphere and we are looking forward to getting stuck in,” said Thomas, who promised an aggressive race.

“Adam and Dani are the leaders of the team and I want to help them, so I’ll be swearing at them at 60kmph in the wind, and I’m going to enjoy that.”

Yates has just recovered from Covid-19, but was looking relaxed and happy.

“It’ll be every man for himself,” Yates said.

“Me and Poggo had some good battles. I just hope to be at my best.”

Later on Wednesday, the Tour teams were due to parade in central Copenhagen with excitement building toward Friday’s Grand Depart, with Ineos rider Filippo Ganna favorite in a downtown time-trial.

“It would be nice to wear the yellow jersey, nothing is easy but I want to try and put that in my museum,” the Italian said.

“We’ll see Friday if we can all celebrate together.”


How COVID-19 brought cricketers’ mental health issues to the fore

How COVID-19 brought cricketers’ mental health issues to the fore
Updated 30 June 2022

How COVID-19 brought cricketers’ mental health issues to the fore

How COVID-19 brought cricketers’ mental health issues to the fore
  • The sport has long had a reticence to confront these concerns, and despite being better remunerated, players face greater pressure than ever before

On Friday, England will host India at Edgbaston, Birmingham, in a Test match which was initially scheduled to start last year, Sept. 10, at Old Trafford, Manchester, but had been delayed over COVID-19 concerns.

That game did not take place because of an overnight decision by the Indian party, fearful about COVID-19 spreading through its camp, to declare this had a significant impact on their ability to field a team. This was despite none of the players testing positive the day before the game. It was members of support staff who had done so, resulting in players isolating in their hotel rooms. Minutes before the gates were due to open at 9 a.m., news of the cancellation seeped out, to the dismay, disbelief and disappointment of all those involved, except the Indians, it seemed.

They left England over the following two days to fly to the UAE, where the Indian Premier League was due to resume on Sept. 19, having been curtailed halfway through in early-May because of COVID-19 concerns in India. The Indian team’s decision in Manchester split the cricketing world. One view was that, coming on top of months of isolation during the pandemic, the new isolation had been the straw which broke the camel’s back in terms of players having the mental ability to cope with the fatigue from yet another bio-bubble.

An alternative view, vigorously denied, was that the fear of catching the virus, so close to the resumption of the IPL, would mean that the players would not have been able to take their places in their team bubbles until after quarantine requirements had been satisfied in the UAE. The Board of Control for Cricket in India specified six days of quarantine. Thus, leaving England between Sept. 11 and 12 gave them just enough time to play in the IPL on Sept. 19, whereas leaving on Sept. 14 and 15 would not have allowed this. There were also issues over whether the cancellation, over COVID-19 concerns, would be covered by insurance; or if the game had to be declared forfeited.

Feelings ran high in both camps. It was not until Oct. 22, 2021, that a resolution was announced under which the match would be played between July 1 and 5, 2022 but at a different venue, Birmingham, rather than the original one in Manchester. The official reason was that, because of other events, there would be insufficient time to prepare a pitch at Manchester. The move also took out of the equation the possibility of any residual ill-will existing there. Nevertheless, it is scant consolation for ticketholders of the original match, who are not able to watch the rearranged one, nor local traders who lost business. Manchester will host South Africa in August.

There has been almost no public commentary on the substance of the negotiations between the Indian and English cricket boards, the implications of the agreement for insurance claims, and also the conditions under which India agreed to play. The match will complete the four-match series, with India holding a 2-1 advantage. Since September 2021, the two teams have undergone shifting fortunes. Both have different captains and coaches. After desperately poor performances in Australia and the West Indies, England have been re-energized by new management, having beaten New Zealand 3-0 in a Test series, which ended last Monday.

India was beaten 2-1 by South Africa in a three match Test series in December 2021/January 2022, after which its highly successful captain, Virat Kohli, resigned, following tensions with the BCCI. Under his successor, Rohit Sharma, India beat Sri Lanka in a two match Test series in February 2022. It is ironic that he has tested positive for COVID-19 prior to the upcoming Test and, with the appointed vice-captain ruled out by injury, the Indians have appointed a pace bowler, Jasprit Bumrah, as captain, in an unusual move.

What is clear is that COVID-19 continues to impact not only this series but cricket, in general. The mental health and well-being issues cited by the Indian camp last September have also applied to other cricketers during the pandemic. The new England captain, Ben Stokes, took a break from the game in July 2021 to deal with his own issues, thus missing the series against India. It is another quirk of fate that he joins the series for the final match.

By its very nature, cricket has long had an uneasy relationship with mental health and a reticence to confront it. Cricketers spend much time alone, both on and off the pitch, with ample opportunities for reflection and rumination. Worries about form, technique and injury can generate self-doubt, which can be preyed upon by opponents. This scope for introspection has received impetus from experiences generated by the pandemic. These have created abnormal relations with families, friends, teammates, spectators, opponents and media. They have been superimposed upon the normal issues which confront cricketers performing as individuals within a team environment.

Cricket has also attracted attention as a sport which, since the early 20th Century, has allegedly suffered a higher-than-average proportion of suicides by professional players. Studies of these cases have sought to uncover the role that cricket may have played. The evidence is inconclusive, because of small sample sizes, a lack of rigorous data collection and a lack of clarity about causes of death. The only linkages seem to be that the individuals had either depressive histories and/or health/financial problems in their post-playing days that brought them to their ultimate decision.

Cricketers are now better remunerated but the pressures to perform seem greater. Some former professional cricketers have talked openly about this subject, yet reluctance to reach out for help still appears to exist, despite increasing avenues of support becoming available. Although the extent that mental health issues contributed to the decision at Manchester last September remains opaque, a new awareness of their impact has been created. Acknowledgement should not be regarded as weakness. Cricket has a fresh opportunity to systemically address them across its realm.


Saudi Arabia bowling team win bronze at IBF U-21 World Championship

Saudi Arabia bowling team win bronze at IBF U-21 World Championship
Updated 30 June 2022

Saudi Arabia bowling team win bronze at IBF U-21 World Championship

Saudi Arabia bowling team win bronze at IBF U-21 World Championship
  • First medal for the Kingdom in this age group

The Saudi Arabian youth bowling squad have claimed bronze in the team category of the IBF U-21 World Championship 2022 in Sweden.

The tournament took place from June 20 to 29 at Helsingborg’s Olympia Bowl. This is the country’s first ever team medal at this age group, following the individual bronze that Abdulrahman Al-Khelaiwi won in the 2017 edition of the competition.

Representing the team were Bandar Al-Yaba, Ahmed Abu Al-Rish, Muhammad Abu Al-Rish, and Ziad Al-Tuwairib.

Despite losing to their Czech counterparts in their last-four match of the team competition, the young Saudis still made the podium as joint third place finishers along with Australia.

The rules of the tournament state that both losing semifinalists be awarded bronze medals.