Reema Juffali’s racing team Theeba Motorsport to appear at Goodwood Festival of Speed

Reema Juffali’s racing team Theeba Motorsport to appear at Goodwood Festival of Speed
As Saudi Arabia’s first female racing driver, Reema Juffali moved from strength to strength in her career and founded Theeba Motorsport this year. (Supplied)
Short Url
Updated 14 June 2022

Reema Juffali’s racing team Theeba Motorsport to appear at Goodwood Festival of Speed

Reema Juffali’s racing team Theeba Motorsport to appear at Goodwood Festival of Speed
  • With more than 600 cars, motorcycles taking part, event is world’s biggest celebration of motor racing

RIYADH: Theeba Motorsport has confirmed that it will take part in the 2022 Goodwood Festival of Speed in the UK with founder and Saudi Arabia’s first female racing driver, Reema Juffali.

Driving the team’s state-of-the-art Mercedes-AMG GT3 EVO, Juffali will complete a total of six exhibition runs on Goodwood’s iconic hill-climb circuit.

Performing two exhibition runs per day, the 30-year-old racer will join multiple figures from international competition including Formula One world champions Jackie Stewart, Mika Hakkinen, and Jenson Button, and nine-time Le Mans 24-hour winner Tom Kristensen.

The Goodwood Festival of Speed was first held in 1993 and in this year’s 29th edition will celebrate the Masterminds of Motorsport from June 23 to 26.

With more than 600 cars and motorcycles from the automotive and motorsport industries, the event is the world’s biggest celebration of motor racing and car culture.

Jeddah-born Juffali said: “The Goodwood Festival of Speed has always been one of my favorite events of the year. It is also where I first set my eyes on some of the greatest machines ever built.

“Goodwood celebrates progress and embodies what we stand for as a team by creating opportunities and making motor racing more accessible. It only makes sense to introduce people to Theeba Motorsport in the UK at Goodwood in June.”

As Saudi Arabia’s first female racing driver, Juffali has moved from strength to strength in her career and founded Theeba Motorsport earlier this year.

Competing in the International GT Open, the team aims to improve Saudi access, participation, and representation in motor racing through a variety of educational opportunities including internship and apprenticeship programs.

It is the team’s ambition to one day make history by becoming the first Saudi team to contest the prestigious 24 Hours of Le Mans.

Theeba Motorsport tasted success on debut and secured pole position and a class victory in May’s International GT Open event at the Circuit Paul Ricard, in France.


Anthony Joshua maintains weight advantage over Oleksandr Usyk for Jeddah clash

Anthony Joshua maintains weight advantage over Oleksandr Usyk for Jeddah clash
Updated 5 sec ago

Anthony Joshua maintains weight advantage over Oleksandr Usyk for Jeddah clash

Anthony Joshua maintains weight advantage over Oleksandr Usyk for Jeddah clash
  • Two-time heavyweight champion Joshua tipped the scales at 110.9 kilos
  • Ukraine’s Usyk weighed 100.5 kilograms

JEDDAH: British boxer Anthony Joshua weighed in more than 10 kilos (22 pounds) heavier than defending champion Oleksandr Usyk on Friday ahead of their “Rage on the Red Sea” world title rematch in Saudi Arabia.

Two-time heavyweight champion Joshua tipped the scales at 110.9 kilos (244.5 pounds) while Ukraine’s Usyk weighed 100.5 kilograms (221.6 pounds), both similar to last year’s fight in London.

Usyk, 19-0 and the favorite after his unanimous decision on Joshua’s home turf, confounded predictions that he had packed on several kilos of muscle to counter the towering Joshua.

The fighters came face-to-face in a 90-second stare-down before shaking hands and posing for the cameras.

“All this stuff, weight, face-off, it doesn’t matter to me. It’s all about the fight,” Joshua said. “I’m just ready for 12 rounds, 100 percent. Anything shorter than that, it’s a bonus.”

Many commentators have written off Joshua after a hesitant showing against the quick and skillful Usyk at London’s Tottenham Hotspur Stadium last September.

But the 6ft 6ins (1.98m) Briton, who is striving to become a three-time world champion, has promised to be more “competitive.”

Promoter Eddie Hearn has suggested Joshua will go for the knock-out.

Saturday’s clash will be the 12th consecutive world title fight for Joshua, the 24-2 former Olympic gold-medallist whose other professional defeat was a shock TKO by Andy Ruiz Jr in June 2019.

Joshua avenged that loss six months later in the “Clash of the Dunes” in Diriyah, Saudi Arabia, the first heavyweight world title fight in the Kingdom.

Elsewhere on the undercard, Saudi Arabia’s Ziyad Al-Maayouf will face Mexico’s Jose Alatorre on Saturday, and said earlier this week he has been overwhelmed by the support he has received and feels a little under the pressure with all eyes on him.

And in a moment of history for sport in Saudi Arabia, Somali-born Briton Ramla Ali will fight the Dominican Republic’s Crystal Garcia Nova in the first women’s professional boxing match in the Kingdom.

Also in an action-packed night of boxing, the Rage on the Red Sea undercard includes several other exciting fights, with former WBA and Ring magazine super-middleweight champion Callum Smith and former two-weight world champion Badou Jack both featuring.

* With AFP


Casemiro wants to leave Real Madrid as Man Utd close in

Casemiro wants to leave Real Madrid as Man Utd close in
Updated 3 min 42 sec ago

Casemiro wants to leave Real Madrid as Man Utd close in

Casemiro wants to leave Real Madrid as Man Utd close in
  • United are set to pay an initial 60 million euros plus a further 10 million euros in add-ons for the 30-year-old
  • "He wants to try a new challenge, a new opportunity and I and the club understand that," said Ancelotti

MANCHESTER, United Kingdom: Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti confirmed on Friday Casemiro is keen to leave the European champions as Manchester United close in on the Brazilian international.
According to the BBC and The Athletic, United are set to pay an initial 60 million euros (£51 million, $61 million) plus a further 10 million euros in add-ons for the 30-year-old.
“I spoke with him this morning. He wants to try a new challenge, a new opportunity and I and the club understand that,” said Ancelotti
“For what Casemiro has done for this club and the person that he is, we have to respect his wishes. Now there are negotiations, nothing is official and he remains a Real Madrid player, but his desire is to leave.
“If that happens and there is an agreement, we have the resources to replace him.”
Casemiro has won three La Liga titles and five Champions Leagues during nine years at Madrid as he formed a formidable midfield trio with Luka Modric and Toni Kroos.
However, his place in Ancelotti’s preferred starting line-up has come under threat by the signing of Aurelien Tchouameni this summer for a fee that could rise to 100 million euros.
United are badly in need of new recruits after a miserable start to Erik ten Hag’s reign has left them bottom of the Premier League for the first time in 30 years.
The Red Devils will reportedly make Casemiro one of the top earners in the Premier League with a four-year deal at Old Trafford along with a club option to extend that contract by an extra season.
A lack of new signings has been one of the issues blamed for embarrassing defeats to Brighton and Brentford with Lisandro Martinez, Christian Eriksen and Tyrell Malacia the only additions to Ten Hag’s squad so far.
Worse could still be to come for United with Liverpool up next at Old Trafford on Monday.
Even if talks progress smoothly in the coming hours, Casemiro will not be registered in time to feature in that match.


Abdulelah Mir Alem takes gold for Saudi at MMA Youth World Championships in Abu Dhabi

Abdulelah Mir Alem takes gold for Saudi at MMA Youth World Championships in Abu Dhabi
Updated 19 August 2022

Abdulelah Mir Alem takes gold for Saudi at MMA Youth World Championships in Abu Dhabi

Abdulelah Mir Alem takes gold for Saudi at MMA Youth World Championships in Abu Dhabi
  • The Kingdom’s first top award at the tournament came in the 62 kg category

ABU DHABI: Saudi MMA fighter Abdulelah Mir Alem has a won a gold medal at the 2022 IMMAF Youth World Championships in Abu Dhabi.

The Saudi fighter defeated Isaac Esparza of the US in the 62 kg category of the tournament taking place at the Jiu-Jitsu Arena in the UAE capital from Aug. 17-20.

After his win, Alem expressed his happiness at claiming Saudi’s first gold of the competition and its first MMA win at international level in that weight category.

Abdulaziz Julaidan, chairman of the Saudi Mixed Martial Arts Federation and head of the Kingdom’s delegation in Abu Dhabi, praised Alem’s achievement and the role that government support for Saudi athletes has played. He highlighted the importance of the continuing programs targeting similar achievements in future competitions.


New Formula E champion Stoffel Vandoorne credits Diriyah E-Prix for kick-starting triumphant season

New Formula E champion Stoffel Vandoorne credits Diriyah E-Prix for kick-starting triumphant season
Updated 19 August 2022

New Formula E champion Stoffel Vandoorne credits Diriyah E-Prix for kick-starting triumphant season

New Formula E champion Stoffel Vandoorne credits Diriyah E-Prix for kick-starting triumphant season
  • The Belgian, 30, highlights importance of Saudi Arabian races this year as he claims his maiden world title in South Korea

RIYADH: Newly crowned ABB FIA Formula E World Champion Stoffel Vandoorne has credited the season-opening Diriyah E-Prix double-header races as a key factor in his “incredible” year as he paid tribute to his departing Mercedes-EQ team.

In the all-electric championship’s 100th race, the 30-year-old Belgian clinched his first Formula E title following a second-place finish in Round 16 of the Seoul E-Prix. The result meant he finished 33 points ahead of Jaguar’s Mitch Evans, who had triumphed in Round 15 to keep his hopes for the title alive.

It was the perfect end to Vandoorne’s season, who despite only claiming one race victory, showed consistency in picking up regular points throughout the 16 races which began in January this year at Saudi Arabia’s Diriyah E-Prix.

“I felt every race this year was very important, but to start the season at the Diriyah E-Prix with pole position and to then finish second in the first race was a very good feeling, especially as it came after a very long winter break,” he said.

“To start the season on a high is motivating for everybody, not just for myself but also for the team. It made me realize that we’re back and in good shape.

“We had won the championship the year before and it gave a lot of confidence to everyone within the team that we had the competitive tools to fight for the best results.”

The Seoul E-Prix marked the end of the Formula E chapter for Mercedes-EQ, and although Vandoorne hinted that he is likely to feature in the 2023 season, he expressed his disappointment that he will not be able to race for them again, especially after clinching their second consecutive teams’ world championship title in South Korea.

The ex-Formula One driver said: “It’s a shame, as I would’ve liked to have continued with Mercedes-EQ. When I first joined them, I was thinking of a long-term partnership, but all things have to come to an end, and we have to move on.

“Everyone knew about this decision for a long time, which gave them time to figure out their future plans. I obviously will miss racing for them, both as a team and as a brand. They are one of the biggest motorsport teams in the world and it doesn’t matter what series they enter, they are always winning. It will be a team that I’ll miss.”


Gamers8 hosts week-long Gameathon with $530,000 up for grabs

Gamers8 hosts week-long Gameathon with $530,000 up for grabs
Updated 19 August 2022

Gamers8 hosts week-long Gameathon with $530,000 up for grabs

Gamers8 hosts week-long Gameathon with $530,000 up for grabs
  • Contest to develop game prototypes from scratch
  • Runs at AlFaisal University in Riyadh until Aug. 24

RIYADH: Gamers8 on Thursday night launched the week-long Gameathon competition at AlFaisal University in Riyadh, with prize money of $530,000 up for grabs.

The university is a partner in the competition, which is similar to a hackathon, in which competitors try their hand at developing a game prototype from scratch.

Gameathon runs until Aug. 24 and provides a platform for individuals to showcase their creative skills by utilizing video games as a common language.

With more than 600 participants expected, Gameathon is open to people from all ages and backgrounds to explore new technology tools in 10 different educational zones.

Turki Alfawzan, chief executive officer at the Saudi Esports Federation, said: “We aim to develop an industry ecosystem in which different disciplines collaborate for the advancement of the gaming community, and in this case focusing on the educational aspect of esports.

“Gameathon is a bridge to greatly enhance gamers’ ability to professionalize their passion into the world of esports. Developers, designers, and artists will enjoy this experience where they can learn many new, and unexpected, skills while supporting their team by contributing ideas, and playtesting.”

Meanwhile Dr. Yousef Al-Yousef, vice president of Graduate School, Research and Innovation at AlFaisal University, commented: “One of the university’s goals is to partner with industries that positively impact the local economy and the society we live in. The gaming industry — bigger than the movie and music industries combined — is well known and acknowledged as a sector in Saudi Arabia that is immensely capable of achieving those impacts. Gameathon is a big part of that.

“One of the major ambitions of Gameathon is to bring the community together at the junction of art and technology, as well as to offer a space and platform for gaming studios to present their work.”