UN calls for investigation into deadly strike on school in Iran

UN calls for investigation into deadly strike on school in Iran
In this picture obtained from Iran’s ISNA news agency, mourners prepare the coffins of children who were killed in a reported strike on a primary school in Iran’s Hormozgan province for a funeral in Minab on Mar. 3, 2026. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 03 March 2026 17:08
Follow

UN calls for investigation into deadly strike on school in Iran

UN calls for investigation into deadly strike on school in Iran
  • “The ⁠onus is on ⁠the forces that carried out the attack to investigate it,” Shamdasani said
  • “The ⁠essence of the destruction, despair and senselessness and cruelty of this conflict“

GENEVA: The UN human rights office on Tuesday urged what it called the forces behind a deadly attack on a girls’ school in Iran to investigate and share insights into the incident, without saying who it believed was responsible.
“The High Commissioner (Volker Turk) calls for a prompt, impartial and thorough investigation into the circumstances of the attack. The ⁠onus is on ⁠the forces that carried out the attack to investigate it,” UN human rights office spokesperson Ravina Shamdasani told a Geneva press briefing.
“This is absolutely horrific,” Shamdasani said, adding that images circulating on social media captured “the ⁠essence of the destruction, despair and senselessness and cruelty of this conflict.”
Turk also urged all parties to exercise restraint and to return to the negotiating table, she said. The school in southern Iran was hit on Saturday, the first day of US and Israeli attacks against the country.
Secretary of State Marco Rubio said on Monday that US forces “would not deliberately ⁠target ⁠a school.” Israel has said it is investigating the incident.
Iran’s ambassador to the UN in Geneva Ali Bahreini had previously raised the issue with Turk in a letter dated March 1, calling the attack “unjustifiable” and “criminal.”
He said the attack had killed 150 students.
Turk’s office does not have enough information to make a determination as to whether the strike constituted a war crime, Shamdasani said.