Paris stresses Saudi peace moves

Updated 20 January 2016

Paris stresses Saudi peace moves

RIYADH: The Saudi leadership’s peace initiatives were praised by Laurent Fabius, French minister of foreign affairs and international development, at a joint press conference with Adel Al-Jubeir, foreign minister, on Tuesday.
Fabius said he had met with Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Salman and Deputy Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman and discussed strengthening economic ties, anti-terror initiatives, Middle East conflicts and Iran’s nuclear program.
Fabius said there was also a focus on regional problems, including fighting terrorism and ensuring the return of peace and stability in the Middle East. Latest developments in Libya, Palestine, Yemen, Syria and Iran figured high in the talks. He said Libya needs a national government for stability and efforts should be made to resolve the longstanding Palestine-Israeli conflict.
On Syria, he said people are starving and the situation has made millions flee in search of safer places. “A political solution should be reached through negotiations, with issues over delegations resolved,” he added.
Fabius said France supports all nuclear non-proliferation efforts. He said Iranian President Hassan Rouhani is expected in Paris for talks.
Earlier in his introductory remarks, Al-Jubeir said Fabius was also briefed on the situation in Yemen and the role of the joint military alliance to combat terror.
He said the two parties reviewed the progress made by the Saudi-French Joint Economic Commission jointly headed by the deputy crown prince, and discussed plans for the upcoming meeting in March.
Regarding the Syrian issue, he said the Syrian Supreme Committee appointed at the Riyadh Conference last year must determine the representatives for the talks.


Saudi Arabia announces 15 more COVID-19 deaths

Updated 25 October 2020

Saudi Arabia announces 15 more COVID-19 deaths

  • The total number of recoveries in the Kingdom has increased to 331,330
  • A total of 5,296 people have succumbed to the virus in the Kingdom so far

LONDON: Saudi Arabia announced 15 deaths from the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) and 323 new infections on Sunday.
Of the new cases, 62 were recorded in Madinah, 41 in Riyadh, 29 in Yanbu, 24 in Makkah, 9 in Jeddah and 6 in Dammam.
The total number of recoveries in the Kingdom increased to 331,330 after 335 more patients recovered from the virus.
A total of 5,296 people have succumbed to the virus in the Kingdom so far.