WWE event in Riyadh proves no ‘sleeper hold’ for fans

Match action from the first day between Jack Swagger (on top) and Baron Corbin.
Updated 05 November 2016

WWE event in Riyadh proves no ‘sleeper hold’ for fans

RIYADH: Friday marked the closure of WWE Live in Riyadh. The two-day tour concluded and left an everlasting impression to Saudi fans.

The event kicked off with a six-man tag team match pitting Bray Wyatt and Luke Harper of the Wyatt family along with the Viper Randy Orton against the big red machine Kane and the young team of Jason Jordan and Chad Gable known as American Alpha.
The second match featured Jack Swagger defeating Curt Hawkins via submission.
The Tag team titles were on the line in a triple threat match as champions Rhyno and Heath Slater retained their titles against Konnor and Viktor the Ascension and Jimmy and Jay Uso. 
Badr Al Saleh, a late night TV show host for MBC television and youtube personality, was the special guest ring announcer for the Intercontinental title match that saw the Miz lose to champion Dolph Ziggler for a second straight night. The Miz and Al Saleh exchanged words before the match.
The event was a family affair as the crowds makeup can visibly be noticed as a lot fathers can be seen enjoying the live entertainment with their children from match to match.
“This is the second time we came to see the WWE in Riyadh, the first being in 2014. It is great to have the WWE here in Saudi and it provides a different form of entertainment,” said Abdulelah a father who came to see the show with his two sons and daughter. “My kids have been driving me mad since they heard that the WWE is coming to Riyadh,” Abdulelah added.
“I came from Jeddah to Riyadh to enjoy the WWE with my son. We waited a long time to get into the venue due to the heavy traffic but it was worth it,” said Faisal, another parent who was attending with his two sons.
Hector Alegre, CEO of Time Entertainment, told Arab News that they are happy to bring back the WWE for the second time to Riyadh and a third time in the Kingdom. “We are very proud to be pioneers in this form of entertainment and we are looking to bring the WWE back to Jeddah and for the first time to the Eastern Province,” Alegre added.
A spokesman from the General Authority for Entertainment of Saudi Arabia told Arab News that this is the third event supported by them and that these alternative style events will be supported by them in the future as well to ensure that the entertainment industry thrives in sustainability and that the entertainment revenue stays within the Kingdom. The Authority aims to support these events to create a variety of programs for residents and citizens alike in Kingdom to be entertained.


UAE Tour canceled after Italian cyclists have coronavirus diagnosed

Updated 28 February 2020

UAE Tour canceled after Italian cyclists have coronavirus diagnosed

  • The hotel hosting the riders, the Crowne Plaza Abu Dhabi Yas Island, was sealed off
  • Riders, organizers and administrators will undergo medical check-ups

ABU DHABI: Sports officials in the Emirates have canceled the final two stages of UAE Tour cycling event after two Italian competitors had coronavirus diagnosed. 

The Abu Dhabi Sports Council announced the cancelation late Thursday.

The council also said the decision had been made to ensure the safety of all the cyclists and teams, which it described as a priority.

The Health Ministry said that all participants, organizers and administrators will undergo medical check-ups. 

 

 

It also said all precautionary measures related to quarantine were taken to prevent the spread of the virus.

The hotel hosting the riders, the Crowne Plaza Abu Dhabi Yas Island, was sealed off on Thursday evening with riders, staff and members of the media not allowed to leave pending their check-ups.

Italian media reported on Twitter the arrival of medical units at the team hotel.

Multiple Tour de France winner Chris Froome tweeted his disappointment at the news, but wished all those affected a "speedy recovery."

 

 

The new coronavirus COVID-19 has infected more than 80,000 people worldwide - including dozens in the Middle East - and killed more than 2,800, mostly in China.