Jordan sentences man to death over Daesh affiliation

The man sentenced to death by hanging, by a military court, had been found guilty of ‘planning and executing terrorist acts in 2016 inside Jordanian territory.’ (AFP)
Updated 15 May 2018

Jordan sentences man to death over Daesh affiliation

  • The court sentenced five other men to 15 years’ hard labor and another to 10 years’ hard labor.
  • All were found guilty of “committing terrorist acts,” “manufacturing flammable and incendiary materials for illicit use.

AMMAN: A Jordanian military court on Monday sentenced a man to death and six others to lengthy prison sentences for belonging to Daesh, judicial sources said.
The man sentenced to death by hanging had been found guilty of “planning and executing terrorist acts in 2016 inside Jordanian territory targeting western shops,” the sources told AFP.
The court sentenced five other men to 15 years’ hard labor and another to 10 years’ hard labor.
All were found guilty of “committing terrorist acts,” “manufacturing flammable and incendiary materials for illicit use,” “promoting the ideas of a terrorist group,” and “attempting to join a terrorist group.”
The seven convicts, aged between 20 and 30, promoted the militant group on social media and often met at the home of the man sentenced to death, the indictment said.
“They agreed that their first terrorist attack would be on western stores in Amman,” it said.
The group torched a number of stores with Molotov cocktails before security agencies arrested six of them in February.
The military court hears terrorism-related cases on a weekly basis.
Most of the defendants are Daesh alleged supporters.
Early last year, Jordan strengthened punishments for militant sympathizers and promoters of extremist ideas on social media.
Since the outbreak of the war in neighboring Syria in 2011, Jordan has arrested dozens over attempts to cross the border and join in the fighting.


Iraqi PM promises to boost protection for US embassy

Updated 4 min 17 sec ago

Iraqi PM promises to boost protection for US embassy

  • US says one person injured in latest attack on the compound in Baghdad
  • Secretary of State Mike Pompeo urged Iraqi Prime Minister Adil Abdel Mahdi to uphold his country’s sovereignty

BAGHDAD: The Iraqi prime minister has promised to strengthen security for the US embassy in Baghdad after one person was injured in the latest missile attack on the compound.
Adel Abdul Mahdi stressed, in a phone call with US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Monday, the importance of respecting Iraq’s sovereignty by everyone.
He also said there was a need to de-escalate tensions in the region, according to a statement from his office.
Gen. Frank McKenzie, a top US commander for the Middle East, said on Monday mortars were used in the attack on the embassy that injured one person and caused some material damage the previous night, not katyusha rockets as was initially reported by staffers and a statement from the military.
The mortar attack started a fire that was put out. He said no US military members were injured, but that one US national received a minor injury but has returned to work.
The US embassy is within the Iraqi capital’s Green Zone, and has been a flashpoint amid wider regional tensions between the US and Iran, which have played out inside Iraq in recent weeks. Iraqi supporters of an Iran-backed militia stormed the embassy compound on Dec. 31, smashing the main door and setting fire to the reception area.
An initial military statement said at least five katyusha rockets had landed inside the Green Zone late Sunday. It was the third attack targeting the US embassy this month, and the perpetrators were not immediately known. Perpetrators had used katyusha rockets in previous attacks and caused no injuries.
There was no claim of responsibility for any of the attacks. But the US has accused Iran-backed militias of targeting US interests by attacking military bases housing Americans and diplomatic missions.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo urged Iraqi Prime Minister Adil Abdel Mahdi to uphold his country’s “sovereignty” in the face of “attacks” from Iran on US facilities in Iraq.
Pompeo “expressed his outrage at the continued assaults by Iran’s armed groups against US facilities in Iraq, including yesterday’s rocket attacks against our Embassy, which resulted in one injury,” the State Department said in a statement.
The statement said that “these attacks demonstrate a wanton disregard for Iraqi sovereignty and a failure to rein in these dangerous armed groups.”
Pompeo said on Twitter that “the government of #Iraq must take immediate steps to protect our diplomatic facilities as required by international law.”

* With AP/AFP