FIFA says no doping cases against Russian squad members

Workers prepare from flowers and grass a giant FIFA 2018 sign outside Rostov Arena in the southern Russian city of Rostov-on-Don on May 12, 2018. (AFP)
Updated 22 May 2018

FIFA says no doping cases against Russian squad members

ZURICH: Global soccer body FIFA said on Tuesday that none of the players named in Russia’s provisional squad for next month’s World Cup have committed doping offenses.
FIFA said in a statement that, following the publication of the McLaren report, it launched investigations “into possible anti-doping rule violations by football players, prioritising high-level players against whom a suspicion had been raised, in particular those who might participate” at the World Cup.
It concluded that “insufficient evidence was found to assert an anti-doping rule violation” in the cases of all Russian squad members.
However, it added that investigations of several players unrelated to the World Cup were continuing.
“FIFA will continue to work on these cases in cooperation with the World Anti-Doping Agency. Further updates will be provided in due course,” it said.
The McLaren report, commissioned by WADA, said more than 1,000 Russian athletes competing in summer, winter and paralympic sport were involved in or benefited from an institutional conspiracy to conceal positive doping tests.
It said that soccer was one of more than 30 sports involved.
Russia has acknowledged some findings of the McLaren report but has repeatedly denied the existence of a state-sponsored doping program.


UAE Tour canceled after Italian cyclists have coronavirus diagnosed

Updated 18 min 29 sec ago

UAE Tour canceled after Italian cyclists have coronavirus diagnosed

  • The hotel hosting the riders, the Crowne Plaza Abu Dhabi Yas Island, was sealed off
  • Riders, organizers and administrators will undergo medical check-ups

ABU DHABI: Sports officials in the Emirates have canceled the final two stages of UAE Tour cycling event after two Italian competitors had coronavirus diagnosed. 

The Abu Dhabi Sports Council announced the cancelation late Thursday.

The council also said the decision had been made to ensure the safety of all the cyclists and teams, which it described as a priority.

The Health Ministry said that all participants, organizers and administrators will undergo medical check-ups. 

 

 

It also said all precautionary measures related to quarantine were taken to prevent the spread of the virus.

The hotel hosting the riders, the Crowne Plaza Abu Dhabi Yas Island, was sealed off on Thursday evening with riders, staff and members of the media not allowed to leave pending their check-ups.

Italian media reported on Twitter the arrival of medical units at the team hotel.

Multiple Tour de France winner Chris Froome tweeted his disappointment at the news, but wished all those affected a "speedy recovery."

 

 

The new coronavirus COVID-19 has infected more than 80,000 people worldwide - including dozens in the Middle East - and killed more than 2,800, mostly in China.