Algeria's Riyad Mahrez given all-clear after injuring ankle during Manchester City friendly

Bayern Munich's French midfielder Franck Ribery (L) fights for the ball with Manchester City's Riyad Mahrez during the International Champions Cup friendly match between FC Bayern Munich and Manchester City at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami, Florida, on July 28, 2018. / AFP / RHONA WISE
Updated 30 July 2018

Algeria's Riyad Mahrez given all-clear after injuring ankle during Manchester City friendly

LONDON: Manchester City’s record signing Riyad Mahrez could play in Sunday’s Community Shield against Chelsea after a scan showed he had suffered no significant damage to his left ankle in a friendly with Bayern Munich.
The 27-year-old Algerian international forward — for whom City paid Leicester £60 million ($79 million) earlier this month — had to leave the pitch in Miami on Saturday after being fouled by Bayern’s Chris Richards.
However, City said in a statement on Monday that a scan had showed nothing alarming.
“Riyad Mahrez has been given the all-clear to return to training later this week after picking up an ankle knock,” read the statement.
“City’s new signing was withdrawn from the action after being fouled by Bayern Munich’s Chris Richards during the first half of Saturday’s 3-2 win over Bayern Munich.
“Subsequent pictures emerged showing Mahrez wearing a protective boot on his left foot upon his return to Manchester.
“However, a scan today (Monday) has revealed no significant damage, and he could be available for selection for this weekend’s Community Shield against Chelsea.”
Mahrez’s replacement Bernardo Silva went on to score a double as City beat the German champions 3-2.


Russian athletics champ blasts own sports authorities

Updated 11 December 2019

Russian athletics champ blasts own sports authorities

  • Lasitskene, a three-time world champion, has in the past been critical of Russia’s athletics federation

MOSCOW: Russian high jump world champion Maria Lasitskene on Tuesday accused her country’s own sports authorities of failing to protect athletes from the deepening doping crisis, in a rare public broadside at top officials.

The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) on Monday handed Russia a new, this time four-year, ban from top global sporting events, including the next summer and winter Olympics and the 2022 soccer World Cup, for tampering with laboratory data.

The ruling means Russian athletes cleared to compete at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics will do so under a neutral flag. But Lasitskene and some other Russian track and field athletes face additional obstacles to being cleared for competition.

“I’ve already missed one Olympics and one-and-a-half years of international competition,” Lasitskene wrote in an open letter addressed to Russia’s sports authorities.

“And it seems that’s not the end of it. So who ultimately is to blame? Who’s going to give me back what I’ve lost?” she wrote in the letter published on Russian sports media outlet Championat.Com.

Lasitskene, a three-time world champion, has in the past been critical of Russia’s athletics federation, which has been suspended for doping since 2015, and has been one of the few Russian athletes to voice her anger publicly.

World Athletics, the global body governing athletics, last month halted the reinstatement procedures for Russia’s athletics federation after its president and six others were provisionally suspended for serious breaches of anti-doping rules.

As a result of these fresh sanctions, World Athletics also said it was reviewing the process it has used in the past to clear some Russians, including Lasitskene, to compete internationally as neutrals.

“Why have we arrived at a situation when an athlete is supposed to be delighted about getting neutral status?” Lasitskene wrote.

“Was the Sports Ministry and Russian Olympic Committee really happy with the Russian athletics federation’s work?”

The president of Russia’s Olympic Committee, Stanislav Pozdnyakov, on Monday dismissed the sanctions against Russia as inappropriate and excessive.