Muslim World League condemns Pittsburgh synagogue gun attack

The Secretary-General of MWL, Mohammed bin Abdul Karim Al-Issa, said the league condemned the targeting of civilians. (SPA)
Updated 29 October 2018

Muslim World League condemns Pittsburgh synagogue gun attack

  • Al-Issa described the tragedy as a terror attack that targeted innocent lives
  • The attack on a synagogue in Pittsburgh left 11 people dead and six others wounded

PITTSBURGH: The Muslim World League has condemned “in the strongest terms” the attack on a synagogue in Pittsburgh that left 11 people dead and six others wounded.
The Secretary-General of MWL, Mohammed bin Abdul Karim Al-Issa, said the league condemned the targeting of civilians and urged the US to prohibit attacks that inflict damage on places of worship or violate the sanctity of those places.
Al-Issa described the tragedy as a terror attack that targeted innocent lives, and one that “only enhances our belief in strengthening international solidarity and cooperation to confront extremism, which knows no religion or race in order to achieve its evil goals.”
The shooting occurred at the Tree of Life synagogue when a man, identified as Robert Bowers, stormed the building and opened fire while shouting “all Jewish people must die.”


Pompeo: Anti-Daesh coalition should shift focus to Africa

Updated 22 min 51 sec ago

Pompeo: Anti-Daesh coalition should shift focus to Africa

  • Saudi Arabia’s FM and Pompeo discussed joint efforts in confronting terrorism
  • Pompeo urged members of the coalition fighting against Daesh to take extremist detainees back to their countries

LONDON: There is growing concern about the Daesh threat outside of Iraq and Syria, and the coalition fighting the terrorist organization should focus on west Africa and the Sahel region, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Thursday.

Pompeo also urged members of the coalition fighting against Daesh to take extremist detainees back to their countries and step up their funding to help restore infrastructure in Iraq and Syria, parts of which have been severely damaged by conflict.

"Coalition members must take back the thousands of foreign terrorist fighters in custody, and impose accountability for the atrocities they have perpetrated," Pompeo said at the opening of a meeting of foreign ministers from the global coalition to defeat Daesh.
Pompeo vowed that the United States will keep fighting the extremist group, and reassured worried allies convened in Washington.
"The United States will continue to lead the coalition and the world on this essential security effort," Pompeo said as he opened a day of talks in Washington.

Saudi Arabia’s Minister of Foreign Affairs Prince Faisal bin Farhan headed the Kingdom’s delegation at the meeting on Thursday and met with Pompeo.

The foreign minister said that two officials discussed “the strong ties” between their countries and “the joint efforts in confronting terrorism in the region and the world.”

Daesh has lost almost all of its territory in Iraq and Syria. Former leader Abu Bakr Al-Baghdadi was killed in a US raid last month, but the militant group remains a security threat in Syria and beyond.
Some 10,000 Daesh detainees and tens of thousands of family members remain in camps and prisons in northeastern Syria guarded by the Syrian Kurdish allies of the United States. Washington is pushing European countries to take their citizens back, but so far they have been reluctant to do so.
(With Reuters)