North Korea demands Japan pay compensation for sinking fishing boat

1 / 2
Above, the fishing boat which collided with a Japanese patrol vessel off the northwestern coast of the Noto Peninsula in Japan. (Fisheries Agency via AP)
2 / 2
Crew members of Japan’s Fisheries Agency rescue North Korean fishermen whose boat collided with a Japanese patrol vessel. (Fisheries Agency via AP)
Updated 12 October 2019

North Korea demands Japan pay compensation for sinking fishing boat

  • Tokyo should take steps to prevent future incidents, says North Korea foreign ministry statement
  • Japanese coast guard rescued about 60 North Korean crew members from a fishing boat that sank after colliding with a patrol boat

SEOUL: North Korea’s foreign ministry “strongly demanded” on Saturday that Japan pay compensation for a fishing boat that sank when it collided with a Japanese patrol boat earlier this week, North Korean state news agency KCNA reported.
The collision on Monday was deliberate and “a gangster act” by Japan and Tokyo should take steps to prevent future incidents, a spokesman for the foreign ministry said in a statement carried by KCNA.
The Japanese coast guard said on Monday it rescued about 60 North Korean crew members from a fishing boat that sank after it collided with the patrol boat that was chasing it out of Japanese waters.


French bus driver dies after attack over mask-wearing rules

Updated 5 min 35 sec ago

French bus driver dies after attack over mask-wearing rules

  • Two men have been charged with attempted murder over the attack
  • The two charged with attempted murder are aged 22 and 23 and were previously known to police
BAYONNE: A French bus driver who was badly beaten by passengers after asking them to wear face masks in line with coronavirus rules has died, his family said, sparking tributes from political leaders who condemned his “cowardly” attackers.
Philippe Monguillot, 59, was left brain dead by the attack in the southwestern town of Bayonne last weekend and died in hospital on Friday, his daughter Marie said, after his family decided to switch off his life-support system.
“We decided to let him go. The doctors were in favor and we were as well,” she told AFP.
Two men have been charged with attempted murder over the attack and prosecutor Jerome Bourrier told AFP that he would ask for the charges to be upgraded following Monguillot’s death.
France’s prime minister Jean Castex led tributes to Monguillot.
“The Republic recognizes him as an exemplary citizen and will not forget him. The law will punish the perpetrators of this despicable crime,” he tweeted, describing the attack as “cowardly.”
Interior Minister Gerald Darmanin, who was due to meet some of Bayonne’s bus drivers on Saturday and discuss the security situation, labelled it an “abhorrent act.”
“The coward responsible must not go unpunished,” he added.
Monguillot’s family had organized a silent march in his honor on Wednesday, departing from the bus stop where the assault took place.
His colleagues refused to work after the attack but will resume work on Monday under stepped-up security arrangements, the local operator Keolis said.
This will include security agents being deployed on the long buses that operate in Bayonne and its surrounding area.
Three other people have been charged in connection with the attack, two for failing to assist a person in danger and another for attempting to hide a suspect, the prosecutor’s office said.
The two charged with attempted murder are aged 22 and 23 and were previously known to police.