Florida shooting ‘nothing to do with gunman’s family, tribe’

A general view of the atmosphere at Ascension Sacred Heart Hospital in Pensacola, Florida, where most of the victims of a shooting at the Naval Air Station on Dec. 06, 2019 were taken for treatment. (Josh Brasted/Getty Images/AFP)
Updated 08 December 2019

Florida shooting ‘nothing to do with gunman’s family, tribe’

  • We are all still looking for the truth about this painful incident, Saudi officer’s uncle tells Arab News

AL-AHSA: The uncle of a young Saudi officer who shot three people dead at a US military base in Florida has told Arab News the crime had nothing to do with either the family or the tribe.

Mohammed Al-Shamrani, 21, from Al-Ahsa, a 2nd lieutenant in the Royal Saudi Air Force, opened fire with a handgun early on Friday in a classroom building at Naval Air Station Pensacola, where he was on a training program. He was killed by US sheriff’s deputies who responded to the incident.

The officer’s uncle, Saad bin Hantam Shamrani, said the family found the tragedy inexplicable. “Nothing unusual was noticed in Mohammed’s behavior… he was known to love people and help them.

“We are all still looking for the truth … to know the causes of this painful incident and its implications. What happened is a crime that concerns only the attacker and has nothing to do with his family and his tribe.”

My condolences go out to the families of the victims. I hope they find peace in their lives after such a tragedy.

Nedda Akhonbay, communications professional

Shamrani said his nephew had been a distinguished high school student, and graduated three years ago. “He applied to the Air Academy, where he spent six months before getting a scholarship to join a specialized program in aviation in the US.

“The last conversation I had with him was less than a month ago, when he assured me that his studies were going well and he expected to graduate in the coming months.”

The shooting has been condemned by all Saudis, many of whom have lived and worked in the US. “My condolences go out to the families of the victims. I hope they find peace in their lives after such a tragedy,” said Nedda Akhonbay, a communications professional in Jeddah.

“As a Saudi-American, and having spent many years in the US and made friends who became like family, I thought this attack was very close to home, and I hope both peoples work together to get past it.”

ALSO READ:

King Salman leads Saudi official condemnations of Florida attack 

• ‘He doesn’t represent us’: Saudis tweet in solidarity with Americans over Florida Navy base shooting


Saudi Arabia announces 35 more deaths from COVID-19

Updated 14 August 2020

Saudi Arabia announces 35 more deaths from COVID-19

  • The total number of recoveries in the Kingdom has increased to 262,959
  • A total of 3,338 people have succumbed to the virus in the Kingdom so far

LONDON: Saudi Arabia announced 35 more deaths from COVID-19 and 1,383 new cases of the disease on Friday.

Of the new cases, 81 were recorded in Makkah, 77 in Hail, 69 in Jeddah and 63 in Riyadh.

The total number of recoveries in the Kingdom increased to 262,959 after 2,566 more patients recovered from the virus.

A total of 3,338 people have succumbed to the virus in the Kingdom so far.

On Thursday, the health ministry announced Saudi Arabia had conducted more than 4 million COVID-19 polymerase chain reaction (PCR) tests since the beginning of the outbreak.