Deadly floods drown pending fears of coronavirus in Yemen’s Aden

Cars drive through a flooded road following heavy rainfall in the Yemeni capital Sanaa on May 26, 2019. (File/AFP)
Short Url
Updated 25 March 2020

Deadly floods drown pending fears of coronavirus in Yemen’s Aden

  • Aden had encountered a power outage after the rainfall
  • Yemeni weather expert Nabil Aboud said Aden is expected to witness further, heavier, rainfall on Thursday coming from the Arabian Sea

DUBAI: Severe flooding caused by heavy rains in Yemen’s Aden killed two with predictions of continued rainfall on Thursday as the city begins testing for coronavirus infections.

Medical sources told local daily Aden Al-Ghad on Wednesday that a man and a woman were caught by the floods. They were pulled from the water and transported to hospital, but died before receiving treatment.

Aden had also encountered a power outage after the rainfall. Officials in the electricity corporation said the stations had stopped operating.

Meanwhile Yemeni weather expert Nabil Aboud said Aden is expected to witness further, heavier, rainfall on Thursday coming from the Arabian Sea.

Doctors warned the government to take quick action to resolve the issue of flooding as stagnant water could cause a large number of mosquitos that may carry infectious diseases.

Despite confirmation from local and international health officials that the war-torn country has not yet recorded a single case of the coronavirus, the UN official warned that the virus could overwhelm Yemen’s understaffed and poorly equipped health facilities.

Abd al-Nasser Abu Bakr, head of the department for combating infectious diseases at the WHO office in the Eastern Mediterranean, told CNN Arabic last week that he expected "an explosion in the number of coronavirus cases in Syria and Yemen."


Turkey to track citizens via mobile phones to enforce coronavirus quarantines

Updated 15 min ago

Turkey to track citizens via mobile phones to enforce coronavirus quarantines

  • Turkey will start tracking citizens and send them a message and call them each time they leave their homes
  • They will be asked to return home and police will penalise those who continue to violate quarantine rules

ISTANBUL: Turkey will monitor the mobile phones of those diagnosed with the new coronavirus to ensure they do not break quarantine, authorities said on Wednesday, marking the latest measure to stem an outbreak that has surged over the last month.
Turkey will start tracking citizens and send them a message and call them each time they leave their homes, the presidency's Communications Directorate said.
They will be asked to return home and police will penalise those who continue to violate quarantine rules, it said, adding that Turkish law allows for processing of personal data without consent for "exceptional aims".
Since the first one was confirmed on March 11, Turkey's coronavirus cases have surged to more than 34,000 with 725 deaths as of Tuesday.
Ankara has taken strict measures to limit social contact, quarantining some towns, banning mass prayers, closing schools, bars and restaurants and limiting inter-city travel.
President Tayyip Erdogan has repeatedly called on citizens to impose their own quarantine but stopped short of imposing a broad stay-at-home order.
China, Singapore, South Korea and other countries have asked residents to use apps and other technology to track their compliance with quarantines, but privacy activists argue such measures can compromise individual liberties.
The European Union is drawing up common rules for using mobile apps to track the spread of the virus, aiming to make better use of the technology and address privacy concerns.
The directorate said Turkey's government will ensure that the personal data collected will not be used for any other aim.