Female suicide bombers named after Sulu attacks

Military personnel stretcher away some of the victims after an improvised bomb exploded next to a military vehicle in the town of Jolo, Sulu province on the southern island of Mindanao on August 24, 2020. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 27 August 2020

Female suicide bombers named after Sulu attacks

  • Two widows had links to Daesh and 2019 Jolo blast, army chief says

MANILA: Philippine authorities on Wednesday identified two female suicide bombers behind the deadly attacks in Sulu province two days ago that killed 17 people and wounded 75 others, including children.

Eight soldiers and a police officer were among victims of the suicide attacks carried out by the women, both widows.

Philippine army chief Lt. Gen. Cirilito Sobejana identified the bombers by their aliases — “Nanah” from Basilan province, and “Inda Nay”  from Sulu, who later lived in Tawi-Tawi. 

Sobejana said Nanah was the wife of Norman Lasuca, thought to be the first Filipino suicide bomber, while Inda Nay was the wife of Talha Jumsah, also known as Abu Talha, a bomb expert who served as the finance conduit between Daesh and the Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG). 

Lasuca and an accomplice were behind an attack on an army counterterrorism unit detachment in Indanan, Sulu, in June last year, while Jumsah was killed in a military operation in the same province in November.

A military official who declined to be named said that Nanah may have come from Indonesia, adding that she was a relative of the Indonesian couple involved in the January 2019 suicide attack on Our Lady of Mount Carmel Cathedral in the island town of Jolo, which killed 23 people.

“Technically, they are Daesh followers. We believe Nanah arrived in Mindanao at the same time as the Indonesian suicide bombers involved in the explosions at the Jolo cathedral. But this is speculation until we complete forensics and DNA testing,” the official said.

Abu Sayyaf bomb expert Mundi Sawadjaan, a nephew of ASG leader Hatib Hadjan Sawadjaan, is believed to have been the mastermind behind Monday’s twin bombings.

Following the incident, the military and police have tightened security in Mindanao and other parts of the country, particularly Manila.

“Based on our information, the threat is focused in Mindanao where there is concentration of Philippine troops. The militants’ aim is to inflict casualties on military and police targets. But we are increasing security in cities just to be safe,” the unnamed official said.

Army chief-of-staff Lt. Gen. Gilbert Gapay condemned the attacks and said that the military remains resolute in its aim to crush the ASG and ending the violence.

“No sensible religion or ideology would ever endorse these attacks. We extend our condolences to the families and friends of the victims. Rest assured that their sacrifices will not be in vain,” Gapay said.

“The ASG will not shake our resolve to bring an end to this violence. Our troops continue to be on high alert to deter similar attacks. Combat and intelligence operations have also been ramped up to catch those responsible,” he added.

Shock after rare killing of British police officer

Updated 27 September 2020

Shock after rare killing of British police officer

  • The suspect, who had been arrested for possession of drugs with intent to supply

LONDON: Police across Britain on Saturday paid silent tribute and flags were flown at half mast after a long-serving officer became the first to be shot dead in the line of duty in more than eight years.

Sergeant Matiu Ratana, 54, was shot by a 23-year-old man at Croydon Custody Center in south London at about 2:15 a.m (0115 GMT), and died in hospital.

The suspect, who had been arrested for possession of drugs with intent to supply and possession of ammunition, turned the gun on himself, and was said to be in critical but stable condition.

Ratana’s death is being treated as murder.

Metropolitan Police Commissioner Cressida Dick said Ratana, who came to Britain from New Zealand and was known as Matt, was “senselessly killed.”

Originally from Hawke’s Bay, on the east coast of New Zealand’s North Island, he joined the Met in 1991 after university and had nearly 30 years as a uniformed officer in the British capital.

He played for London Irish and the force rugby union team, before going into coaching at East Grinstead, near Croydon. He leaves a partner and an adult son from a previous relationship.

“As a colleague, he was big in stature and big-hearted, a friendly, capable police officer,” Dick said.

“A lovely man, highly respected by officers and staff, and by the public, including suspects he arrested or dealt with in custody.

“He was very well known locally and will be remembered so fondly in Croydon, as well as in the Met and the rugby world.”

Dick said security and police body camera footage would be examined closely as part of the investigation, after media reports suggested the suspect may not have been fully searched before entering the custody suite.

Many British police carry taser stun guns but are not routinely armed, although forces have tactical firearms units to respond quickly to incidents.

According to the Independent Office for Police Conduct, which sent investigators to the scene, no police firearms were fired.

The suspect was handcuffed and apparently opened fire in the custody suite with a revolver as officers prepared to search him, it added.

Deaths in service in Britain are rare and the shooting sent shockwaves throughout police forces across the country. 

Flags were lowered and officers stood in a minute’s silence in Ratana’s memory.

His death came as the British government is looking to introduce harsher sentences for attacks on emergency service workers.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson offered his “deepest condolences” to Ratana’s family, writing on Twitter that “we owe a huge debt to those who risk their own lives to keep us safe.”

Policing minister Kit Malthouse told parliament: “We ask our police officers to do an extraordinary job.

“The fact that one of them has fallen in the line of performing that duty is a tragedy for the entire nation.”

Fiona Bone and Nicola Hughes were the last British police officers to be shot dead in the line of duty, when they were ambushed in a gun and grenade attack in September 2012.

They were killed by drug dealer Dale Cregan while responding to a report of a burglary in Manchester, northwest England.

Since then, a further five officers have been killed on duty — four by vehicles while pursuing suspects and one, Keith Palmer, who was stabbed during a 2017 terror attack on parliament.

Ratana is the 17th officer from the Met to be killed by a firearm since the end of World War II, according to the National Police Memorial roll of honor.