RIYADH: Saudi Arabian air defenses have intercepted and destroyed two ballistic missiles launched by the Houthi militia in Yemen toward the Kingdom’s southern region, the Arab coalition said on Monday.
One missile was targeting the city of Najran on Monday evening, while the second one was targeting Jazan earlier in the day.
The coalition praised the efficiency of the Saudi air defenses in thwarting the militias’ reckless attempts to target civilian objects in the kingdom. The Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) condemned the Houthis’ attempt to target populated areas and said the continuation of these “terrorist attacks” reflects their blatant defiance of the international community, their disregard for all international laws and norms, and their rejection of all efforts aimed at bringing peace to Yemen.
This section contains relevant reference points, placed in (Opinion field)
GCC Secretary-General Dr. Nayef Al-Hajjraf called on the international community to assume its responsibilities and take a decisive stance toward the Iran-backed group to stop these repeated acts targeting vital and civilian installations.
The Organization of Islamic Cooperation also strongly denounced the attack and reiterated its support for all measures taken by the coalition forces to deal with the Houthis’ threats and protect civilians and civilian objects.
Bahrain also condemned the attack and said it supports all measures taken by the Kingdom to protect its security.
On Sunday, the Saudi air defenses intercepted and destroyed three Houthi drones that were targeting the southern city of Khamis Mushait.
The Arab Interior Ministers Council condemned the attack on Khamis Mushait in a statement on Monday.