Two mass graves found in Raqqa: Reports

Syrian forces excavate a site, said to be a mass grave by news agency SANA, west of Raqqa province, on Friday. Two mass graves containing dozens of bodies of civilians and Syrian troops killed by Daesh militants have been found. (AFP)
Updated 30 December 2017

Two mass graves found in Raqqa: Reports

DAMASCUS: Two mass graves containing dozens of bodies of civilians and Syrian troops killed by Daesh militants have been found in the west of Raqqa province, state news agency SANA reported Friday.
The bodies were discovered based on information provided by residents near Wawi in the west of the province, which borders Turkey. It said they had been executed.
Recovery operations were expected to last several days “due to the huge area of the two mass graves,” SANA quoted a source from the Syrian civil defense as saying.
It was not immediately clear when they had been killed, other than while Daesh controlled the northerly province, SANA said.
Daesh, which proclaimed a “caliphate” over swathes of Syria and Iraq in 2014, has now lost almost all the land it once controlled.
It has been held responsible for multiple atrocities during its reign of terror, including mass executions and decapitations.
In December 2014, the bodies of 230 people executed by Daesh were found in a mass grave in the eastern province of Deir Ezzor.
Another 200 civilians, including women and children, were killed by the group in June 2015 in the city of Kobani.


Algeria president to return ‘within days’ from German hospital

Updated 6 min 55 sec ago

Algeria president to return ‘within days’ from German hospital

  • The presidency said Tebboune had left the hospital and was having a ‘period of convalescence’ as recommended by his medical team
  • Tebboune, who is 75 and a heavy smoker, was admitted to hospital in Germany on October 28 to undergo ‘in-depth medical examinations’

ALGIERS: Algerian President Abdelmadjid Tebboune is to return home within days after a month of hospitalization in Germany with coronavirus, his office said Monday.
“The president of the republic assures the Algerian people about his health, that he is on the way to recovery and will be returning home in the coming days,” it said in a statement.
The presidency said Tebboune had left the hospital and was having a “period of convalescence” as recommended by his medical team. It gave no other details.
Tebboune, who is 75 and a heavy smoker, was admitted to hospital in Germany on October 28 to undergo “in-depth medical examinations,” according to the presidency.
He was transferred from a facility in the Algerian capital days after going into self-isolation following reports of novel coronavirus cases among his aides.
A day before he was transferred abroad, the presidency said Tebboune’s “state of health does not raise any concern” but a week later it announced he had contracted Covid-19.
While he was still in hospital in Germany, his office also said the president had finished his treatment and was undergoing “post-protocol medical tests.”
But updates on his medical condition have been irregular and his lengthy absence fueled speculation and fears of a political vacuum.
Monday’s statement was the first released by his office since mid-November.