Saudi Arabia steps up with operational plan to enhance pilgrims’ services during Hajj

Saudi Arabia steps up with operational plan to enhance pilgrims’ services during Hajj
1 / 4
Above, pilgrims at the Grand Mosque in Makkah. (AN file photo)
Saudi Arabia steps up with operational plan to enhance pilgrims’ services during Hajj
2 / 4
Security forces continue campaigns to prevent individuals without Hajj permit from entering or remaining in Makkah and the holy sites. (SPA file photo)
Saudi Arabia steps up with operational plan to enhance pilgrims’ services during Hajj
3 / 4
Saudi Food and Drug Authority steps up efforts to ensure safe food, medicines and medical devices are provided for pilgrims during this year’s Hajj. (SFDA)
Saudi Arabia steps up with operational plan to enhance pilgrims’ services during Hajj
4 / 4
Saudi Food and Drug Authority steps up efforts to ensure safe food, medicines and medical devices are provided for pilgrims during this year’s Hajj. (SFDA)
Short Url
Updated 20 May 2026 14:40
Follow

Saudi Arabia steps up with operational plan to enhance pilgrims’ services during Hajj

Saudi Arabia steps up with operational plan to enhance pilgrims’ services during Hajj
  • Elaborate civil and security arrangements are in place, including use of AI technologies, and thousands of health workers ready to serve pilgrims

RIYADH: Saudi ministries are implementing operational plans for this year’s Hajj pilgrimage with regulatory, supervisory and social initiatives aimed at improving services and the pilgrim experience.

The ministry of interior has initiated strict measures for the Hajj season under the slogan “No Hajj without a permit,” effective from April 13, 2026.

From that date, entry to Makkah is restricted to those holding a valid Hajj permit, Makkah residency ID (iqama), or a work permit for the holy sites, according to the interior ministry.

“Stringent checks are in place at all entry points to Makkah. The campaign aims to ensure the safety and security of pilgrims by enforcing regulations and cracking down on fraudulent Hajj campaigns,” a spokesperson told Arab News.

The ministry is running extensive campaigns through mainstream media and social media platforms, and sending text messages to residents and citizens, warning that visit visas of all types are invalid for performing Hajj.

Anyone who transports citizens and residents who violate Hajj regulations and instructions shall be punished with a fine of up to SR50,000 ($13,324), imprisonment for a period of six months, and deportation if the offender is an expatriate, it added.

“A penalty of up to SR100,000 shall be imposed on anyone who accommodates holders of all types of visit visa in any place designated for residence or cover them up or provide them with any assistance that leads to them remaining in Makkah and the holy sites.”

It further warns: “A fine of up to SR20,000 shall be imposed on an individual holding a visit visa and entering, attempting to enter or staying in Makkah.”

Individuals caught without a permit face fines of up to SR10,000, while those transporting offenders face up to six months in prison and fines up to SR100,000.

The ministry also warned against fake campaigns and advised verifying all Hajj service providers through the ministry of Hajj and Umrah website.

The ministry of health media department told Arab News on Tuesday that the health ministry has, so far, had a very successful campaign.

“The healthcare system, so far, has provided more than 121,626 health services to pilgrims since the start of the Hajj season this year,” Faisal Al-Khairat, a ministry spokesperson told Arab News.

The ministry earlier affirmed that being vaccinated for meningitis is a mandatory requirement for workers participating in the Hajj season.

Health ministry spokesperson Abdulaziz Abdulbaqi said that safeguarding workers is a priority for the healthcare sector.

The approved meningitis vaccine is valid for five years, meaning individuals who received the vaccine within that period, in accordance with approved health regulations, do not need to be revaccinated.

He also urged workers to complete other recommended vaccinations, particularly seasonal influenza and COVID-19 vaccines.

Ismail bin Saeed Al-Ghamdi, assistant minister of human resources and social development for shared services and chairman of the ministry’s executive committee for the Hajj season, spoke to the Saudi Press Agency ahead of the Hajj season.

The ministry of human resources and social development, he said, has “carried out early preparations through a plan focused on field readiness, the use of modern technologies, and improving the efficiency of national staff to ensure quality services for pilgrims.”

Al-Ghamdi said the plan aims to ensure compliance with labor market laws during the season by intensifying inspections in Makkah, Madinah and the holy sites, and monitoring compliance with regulations.

The ministry has received requests through the Ajeer platform to employ seasonal workers, linking job seekers with establishments serving pilgrims to meet demand and improve operational efficiency, he added.

As for volunteer work, social development centers have launched initiatives such as Anwart to provide guidance and support services for pilgrims, particularly the elderly and people with disabilities.

Childcare centers in Makkah and Madinah have also prepared to receive children of pilgrims and workers, offering a safe environment under qualified supervision to help parents perform their rituals with ease, Al-Ghamdi said.

The ministry has also launched multilingual campaigns in cooperation with relevant entities to raise awareness about the risks of begging during Hajj, promote official donation channels and encourage the reporting of violations.

The Saudi Food and Drug Authority has finalized its plan to ensure safe food, medicines and medical devices are provided for pilgrims during this year’s Hajj.

“This readiness aligns with the directives of the Kingdom’s wise leadership to prioritize the health and well-being of pilgrims, leveraging all available resources to ensure a safe and seamless Hajj journey,” according to a statement from the SFDA.

“Key pillars include strengthening supply chain oversight, enhancing the readiness of field teams, intensifying inspection visits of regulated facilities, and bolstering coordination with relevant government entities,” the Saudi food safety watchdog added.

The SFDA said “a fully integrated technical team will work around the clock across all regulatory pathways, starting from land, sea, and air entry points. Oversight extends to food and pharmaceutical establishments, as well as medical-device facilities under the SFDA’s supervision.”

As part of its Hajj preparations, the authority announced recently that it had installed a sophisticated system of digital tools, including body cameras for field inspectors.

These devices feature live-streaming capabilities that send images to the Hajj Operations Center and allow real-time communication with inspection teams.

Meanwhile, the Transport General Authority has announced the readiness of more than 33,000 buses and 5,000 taxis to serve pilgrims during Hajj season as part of its operational and regulatory plans to support mobility and raise transport service efficiency for pilgrims at all stages of their movement.