Newly free Saudi Prince Alwaleed gives $500,000 to football club

A female supporter of Saudi's Al-Hilal attends her team's football match against Al-Ittihad in the Saudi Pro League at the King Fahd International Stadium in Riyadh on January 13, 2018. (AFP)
Updated 14 February 2018

Newly free Saudi Prince Alwaleed gives $500,000 to football club

RIYADH: Saudi Arabian billionaire Prince Alwaleed bin Talal, freed two weeks ago from detention in a luxury hotel during a corruption sweep, said on Tuesday he was answering a government call to support local soccer clubs by donating half a million dollars.
Prince Alwaleed, one of the country’s top international investors, says he spent his nearly three months of detention in the Riyadh Ritz-Carlton hotel, along with dozens of senior officials and businessmen, part of a crackdown on the orders of Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.
In an interview conducted hours before his release, he told Reuters he maintained his innocence and expected to keep full control of his firm. But when asked, he did not rule out making a donation to the government in return for his freedom.
A senior Saudi official later told Reuters he was freed after reaching a financial settlement with the attorney general, but neither party provided details.
Most detainees have been released, after settlements that the attorney general said secured more than $100 billion from members of the elite.
Prince Alwaleed tweeted a photo of himself on Tuesday watching the AFC Champions League game between Al-Hilal and Al-Ain with his family and said: “Answering my brother Turki Al-Sheikh’s invitation to support Saudi clubs ... I present 2 million Saudi riyals ($533,333) to support Al Hilal FC.”
Al-Sheikh heads the government’s General Sports Authority and is seen as close to the crown prince. Prince Alwaleed’s fortune was previously estimated by Forbes magazine at $17 billion.
 


Maradona’s doctor investigated for involuntary manslaughter

Updated 51 min 35 sec ago

Maradona’s doctor investigated for involuntary manslaughter

  • Police raided Leopoldo Luque's surgery and home in search of possible evidence pointing to negligence
  • The probe was triggered by concerns raised by three of Maradona's daughters over the treatment he received

BUENOS AIRES: Diego Maradona's personal doctor was on Sunday being investigated for involuntary manslaughter four days after the Argentina legend suffered a fatal heart attack, prosecutors in San Isidro near Buenos Aires reported.
Police raided Leopoldo Luque's surgery and home in search of possible evidence pointing to negligence, according to television images.
The probe was triggered by concerns raised by three of Maradona's daughters Dalma, Giannina and Jana over the treatment he received for his heart condition at his home in Tigre, north of Buenos Aires, judicial sources said.
"Our investigations are ongoing, we are talking to witnesses including members of the family" of Maradona, a source close to the San Isidro inquiry said.
Luque, who declined to comment when contacted by AFP, had posted a photograph of himself with Maradona on the day the 60-year-old left hospital on November 12, eight days after surgery to remove a blood clot on his brain.
Maradona returned home to Tigre where he received round the clock medical care. He died of a heart attack on Wednesday, and was buried on Thursday at the Jardin de Paz cemetery on the outskirts of the Argentine capital.