Sudan’s top general says military council will be dissolved

Gen. Abdel-Fattah Burhan said the army could withdraw from governing the country after the end of the first 21 months. (File/AFP)
Updated 08 July 2019

Sudan’s top general says military council will be dissolved

  • The military and pro-democracy leaders agreed last week on a joint sovereign council that will rule for a little over three years while elections are organized
  • A military leader will head the council for the first 21 months followed by a civilian leader for the next 18

KHARTOUM: Sudan’s top general says the ruling military council will be dissolved after the formation of a new power-sharing body that will rule the country.
The military and pro-democracy leaders agreed last week on a joint sovereign council that will rule for a little over three years while elections are organized. A military leader will head the council for the first 21 months followed by a civilian leader for the next 18.
Gen. Abdel-Fattah Burhan, head of the military council, said in TV comments late Sunday the army could withdraw from governing the country after the end of the first 21 months.
He said the military is discussing the candidates for the sovereign council with the Force for Declaration of Freedom and Change, which represents the protest movement.


Chemical weapons watchdog checking Kurdish allegations in Syria

Updated 22 October 2019

Chemical weapons watchdog checking Kurdish allegations in Syria

THE HAGUE: The UN's chemical weapons watchdog said Tuesday it was checking Kurdish allegations that Turkish forces fired non-conventional weapons in northern Syria, but emphasised it had not launched a formal investigation.
"OPCW experts are engaged in the process of assessing the credibility of allegations concerning the situation in Northern Syria," the Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) said in a statement.
The Hague-based body added however that "the OPCW has not launched an investigation" into charges by Kurdish authorities in northeastern Syria that Turkey has used banned weapons such as napalm and white phosphorus munitions since it launched an offensive there on October 9.
Ankara has denied the charges.
OPCW specialists continue to collect information "with regard to any alleged use of chemicals as a weapon," the watchdog group said.
The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, which has a network of Syrian sources, has said it could not confirm the use of chemical weapons.
Kurdish fighters suffering from burns had reached a hospital in Tal Tamr, near the border town of Ras al-Ain that was bombarded by pro-Turkish forces,, the observatory said.
The use of chemical weapons, including substances similar to napalm and phosphorous has been alleged many times since the Syrian conflict began in 2011.
Kurdish authorities posted images on social media that showed children suffering from burns that a local doctor said might have been caused by chemical substances.
Turkish Defence Minister Hulusi Akar has told reporters that Turkish forces have not resorted to using "chemical weapons."