UN chief raised plight of Uighurs with China’s president

United Nations Secretary General Antonio Guterres talks to Chinese President Xi Jinping (not pictured) during the bilateral meeting of the Second Belt and Road Forum at the Great Hall of the People on April 26, 2019 in Beijing, China. (Andrea Verdelli/Pool via REUTERS)
Updated 30 April 2019

UN chief raised plight of Uighurs with China’s president

UNITED NATIONS: The UN says Secretary-General Antonio Guterres raised the plight of an estimated 1 million Uighurs incarcerated in re-education camps in China during a recent meeting with the country’s president, Xi Jinping.
UN spokesman Stephane Dujarric told reporters Monday the UN chief told the Chinese leader that “human rights must be fully respected in the fight against terrorism and in the prevention of violent extremism.”
Criticism has grown over China’s internment of Uighurs as well as members of other predominantly Muslim ethnic groups. Last week, Human Rights Watch executive director Kenneth Roth wrote a harsh op-ed accusing Guterres of being silent on human rights and failing to speak out publicly on the plight of the Uighurs.
Dujarric called Guterres’ discussions with Xi “very cordial” and “frank.”


Twenty-six held over migrant lorry tragedy in Britain

Updated 1 min 23 sec ago

Twenty-six held over migrant lorry tragedy in Britain

BRUSSELS: Police in Belgium and France have arrested 26 suspected people smugglers over the deaths of 39 Vietnamese migrants in a refrigerated truck in Britain last year.
The migrants — 31 men and eight women — were found dead in the truck in an industrial zone east of London in October, sparking an international outcry.
The driver of the lorry has already admitted manslaughter over the deaths but Tuesday’s arrests targeted the ring of smugglers suspected of organizing the migrants’ journey.
Police swooped in a series of raids around Brussels and Paris as part of a probe also involving British and Irish investigators.
In Belgium — where some of the victims stayed before their fateful journey — police held 13 people, including 11 Vietnamese nationals.
“The network set up by the smugglers is suspected of having likely transported up to several dozen people every day for several months,” Belgian federal prosecutors said in a statement Wednesday.
“The organization focused on transporting refugees from Asia, particularly from Vietnam.”
Prosecutors suspect the gang organized the transport of the Vietnamese migrants in the container where they died.
Most of those arrested in France are also Vietnamese, according to an investigation source.
The probe has discovered that the migrants who died were loaded onto the truck in northern France, and that the network continued its operations even after the tragedy, charging 15,000 to 20,000 euros to cross from France to Britain.
Even the coronavirus lockdown did not stop the gang’s smuggling activities, the source said.
The tragedy shone a spotlight on the extraordinary dangers migrants are willing to risk to reach Britain, with some paying smugglers up to $40,000 for the perilous journey.
Post-mortem tests found the victims died from lack of oxygen and overheating, and one sent a poignant text message to her family in Vietnam as she lay dying in the truck.
The victims came from impoverished and remote corners of central Vietnam, a hotspot for people willing to embark on dangerous journeys in the hope of striking it rich abroad.
Many are smuggled illegally through Russia or China, often left owing huge sums to their traffickers and ending up working on cannabis farms or in nail salons.
The driver of the lorry, Maurice Robinson of Northern Ireland, last month pleaded guilty to manslaughter over the 39 deaths.
Four other men are on trial in London over the tragedy, while another man, Ronan Hughes, is facing extradition from Ireland to Britain on 39 counts of manslaughter and one of conspiracy to commit unlawful immigration.
Hughes is accused of organizing and controlling the drivers in the trafficking operation.