Sindh defends continued lockdown as rest of Pakistan to ease restrictions

Special Sindh defends continued lockdown as rest of Pakistan to ease restrictions
In this photo Sindh Police patroling on deserted streets of Karachi amid coronavirus lockdown. (AP)
Short Url
Updated 10 May 2020 12:05
Follow

Sindh defends continued lockdown as rest of Pakistan to ease restrictions

Sindh defends continued lockdown as rest of Pakistan to ease restrictions
  • Spokesperson Sindh says easing lockdown would lead to spike in cases
  • The rest of Pakistan aims to begin easing lockdown beginning Monday

KARACHI: Pakistan’s southern Sindh province on Saturday defended its decision to continue with a firm lockdown while the rest of the country plans on easing restrictions beginning Monday.
On Friday, after some weeks of sparring with the federal government on coronavirus containment policies, Sindh’s Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah said in a press conference his province would start easing lockdown restrictions in line with the central government’s decision.
However, a clarification issued by his office on Saturday said Sindh’s lockdown would instead be entering a new phase with further restrictions.
Sindh spokesperson Murtaza Wahab defended the decision, and said the CM’s announcement had come after consultations with different stakeholders.
“We have seen positive results of the lockdown as it has contained the spread. And ending it will result in a spike in cases,” Wahab told Arab News. The decision, he said, had been taken with representatives of federal investigative agencies, law enforcers, health officials, independent health experts, military, intelligence agencies and philanthropists on board.
“It’s not the time to be complacent,” he said.
Sindh reported 1000 new cases on Saturday in its highest single day surge.
“Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah has categorically said that Sindh is not ending the lockdown on Monday and we are entering the second phase of lockdown with some extra restrictions, particularly at hotspots,” the handout issued by the CM’s office quoted Shah.
“We are entering phase-II under which stricter controls at hotspots were being initiated,” the handout said, and added minor exemptions would be given to some sectors such as construction and isolated shops in neighborhoods.
Air, train and public transport would continue to remain closed, the handout said.
Pakistan Prime Minister announced earlier this week the country would begin lifting its lockdown starting Saturday, a decision met with some criticism as health officials reported a surge in deaths and cases, with Pakistan’s fatality count doubling in just ten days to over 600.
Sindh’s government says it now fears that without “uninformed decisions” at the national level, the countrywide lifting of restrictions could reinforce a surge of the disease in the southern province.
“For example, if we control the disease and trains and other transport services are opened, the people coming from different parts of Pakistan to Sindh will bring the infection,” Wahab said.