Iraq’s counter-terrorism forces kill senior Daesh member

The statement added that the Iraqi security forces were using modern technology in the ongoing war against the militants. (File/AFP)
Short Url
Updated 27 May 2020

Iraq’s counter-terrorism forces kill senior Daesh member

  • The counter-terrorism forces continued tracking Al-Jubouri after he fled Iraq
  • They have tried to target him 16 times before

DUBAI: Iraq’s counter-terrorism forces said they have killed the man Daesh referred to as its “Governor of Iraq,” Moataz Numan Al-Jubouri, during an airstrike in Syria, state news agency INA reported.
Iraqi security forces had previously tried targeting Al-Jubouri, who also goes by Haji Tayseer, 16 times, and had continued to track him after he fled the country. 
“Your heroes in the counter-terrorism apparatus continue to pursue the remnants of the terrorists Daesh wherever they are found,” INA quoted a statement by the counter-terrorism forces.
The statement added that the Iraqi security forces were using modern technology in the ongoing war against the militants. 
On Tuesday, Iraq’s forces said they had destroyed three Daesh armed-vehicles in the Ar-Rutbah desert after they were discovered by two surveillance planes.
Authorities have also captured Daesh leader Abdul Nasser Qardash, who is considered a successor to the terror group’s former chief Abu Bakr Al-Baghdadi last week.


Trump wrote to Assad about journalist missing in Syria, says Pompeo

In this file photo taken on December 04, 2018, Marc and Debra Tice, the parents of US journalist Austin Tice (portrait L), who was abducted in Syria more than six years ago, speak at a press conference in Beirut. (AFP)
Updated 15 August 2020

Trump wrote to Assad about journalist missing in Syria, says Pompeo

  • In 2018, US authorities announced a $1 million reward for information that would lead to his recovery

WASHINGTON: US President Donald Trump personally wrote to his Syrian counterpart Bashar Assad about the case of journalist Austin Tice, who has been missing since 2012, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Friday.
“The US government has repeatedly attempted to engage Syrian officials to seek Austin’s release,” Pompeo said in a statement on the eighth anniversary of Tice’s disappearance.
“President Trump wrote to Bashar Assad in March to propose direct dialogue.”
Tice was a freelance photojournalist working for Agence France-Presse, McClatchy News, The Washington Post, CBS and other news organizations when he disappeared after being detained at a checkpoint near Damascus on Aug. 14, 2012.
Thirty-one years old at the time he was captured, Tice appeared blindfolded in the custody of an unidentified group of armed men in a video a month later.
Since then, there has been no official information on whether he is alive or dead.
In March, Trump said the United States had written a letter to authorities in Damascus, without specifying that he himself had written personally to Assad, who Washington wants out of power. At that time, Trump said he did not know if Tice was still alive.

HIGHLIGHT

Tice was a freelance photojournalist working for Agence France-Presse, McClatchy News, The Washington Post, CBS and other news organizations when he disappeared after being detained at a checkpoint near Damascus on Aug. 14, 2012.

“No one should doubt the president’s commitment to bringing home all US citizens held hostage or wrongfully detained overseas,” Pompeo said Friday.
“Nowhere is that determination stronger than in Austin Tice’s case.”
Pompeo said he and Trump hoped there would be “no need for another statement like this a year from now.”
“Austin Tice’s release and return home are long, long overdue. We will do our utmost to achieve that goal,” he added.
A year ago, the US government said it believed Tice was still alive.
His mother Debra Tice said in January that she had “credible information” to that effect, without elaborating.
In 2018, US authorities announced a $1 million reward for information that would lead to his recovery.