Israeli guards shoot unarmed Palestinian man at crossing

Israeli guards shoot unarmed Palestinian man at crossing
An Isaeli soldier cleans the blood stains at the spot where a Palestinian suspected of attacking troops was shot and wounded at the Qalandia checkpoint on the crossing between the West Bank city of Ramallah and Israeli-annexed east Jerusalemon on December 7, 2020. (AFP)
Short Url
Updated 08 December 2020

Israeli guards shoot unarmed Palestinian man at crossing

Israeli guards shoot unarmed Palestinian man at crossing
  • Israeli police said the guards at the Qalandia crossing fired at the Palestinian man after ordering to stop
  • Police later said the man was found to have been unarmed

JERUSALEM: Israeli police said Monday that private security guards shot and wounded an unarmed Palestinian man at a checkpoint in the West Bank.
In a statement, police said the guards at the Qalandia crossing ordered the man to stop. But when he continued to approach them, they fired warning shots in the air and then shot at his legs.
Amateur video captured by a passerby and shown on Israel’s Channel 13 TV showed the man falling down after being shot, then hopping toward the security men and being shot again. Details on his identity were not immediately released.
Police later said the man was found to have been unarmed. He was taken to Jerusalem’s Hadassah Medical Center, where he was said to be in moderate to serious condition.
Qalandia is a main crossing point for Palestinians entering Jerusalem from the West Bank. Israel often uses private security companies as contractors at checkpoints.
Palestinians and human rights groups accuse Israeli security forces of often using excessive force against Palestinian suspects. Channel 13 said police were investigating the incident.


Turkey orders 238 detained in military probe over Gulen links

Turkey orders 238 detained in military probe over Gulen links
Updated 19 January 2021

Turkey orders 238 detained in military probe over Gulen links

Turkey orders 238 detained in military probe over Gulen links
  • Operation, covering 60 provinces, part of a four-year-old crackdown against the network of US-based cleric Fethullah Gulen

ISTANBUL: Turkey has ordered the arrest of 238 people in an operation targeting suspects in the military allegedly linked to a Muslim preacher who Ankara says was behind a 2016 failed coup, state-owned Anadolu news agency reported on Tuesday.
The operation, covering 60 provinces, was part of a four-year-old crackdown against the network of US-based cleric Fethullah Gulen. He denies involvement in the July 2016 putsch attempt, in which more than 250 people were killed.
Anadolu said 160 people had been detained in the latest police raids, ordered by prosecutors in Izmir. It said suspects were also targeted in northern Cyprus, where the Turkish military is deployed.
Among the suspects were 218 serving military personnel, including six colonels, three lieutenant colonels and nine majors, Anadolu said.
Since the coup attempt, about 80,000 people have been held pending trial and some 150,000 civil servants, military personnel and others have been sacked or suspended. More than 20,000 people had been expelled from the Turkish military.