Mum and daughter jailed over London terror plot

1 / 3
Photo handout picture released by the British Metropolitan Police Service in London on June 4, 2018, shows Rizlaine Boular sister of 18-year-old Safaa Boular who was found guilty of two counts of preparation of terrorist acts. Her mother, Mina Dich, and sister, Rizlaine Boular, had both pleaded guilty to preparation of terrorist acts earlier.( AFP)
2 / 3
Photo handout picture released by the British Metropolitan Police Service in London on June 4, 2018, shows Rizlaine Boular sister of 18-year-old Safaa Boular who was found guilty of two counts of preparation of terrorist acts. Her mother, Mina Dich, and sister, Rizlaine Boular, had both pleaded guilty to preparation of terrorist acts earlier.( AFP)
3 / 3
Photo handout picture released by the British Metropolitan Police Service in London on June 4, 2018, shows Rizlaine Boular sister of 18-year-old Safaa Boular who was found guilty of two counts of preparation of terrorist acts. Her mother, Mina Dich, and sister, Rizlaine Boular, had both pleaded guilty to preparation of terrorist acts earlier.( AFP)
Updated 16 June 2018

Mum and daughter jailed over London terror plot

LONDON: A court on Friday jailed a mother and daughter, who formed an all-female terrorist cell linked to the Daesh group, for plotting an attack in Britain.
Rizlaine Boular, 22, was jailed for life.
She had planned to stab people around the Palace of Westminster in central London last year, while her 44-year-old mother Mina Dich admitted aiding her plot.
The scheme had been hatched by younger sister Safaa Boular, 18, who wanted to target crowds at the British Museum but had been arrested and remanded in jail over her attempt to become a jihadi bride in Syria.
Following her detention the siblings shared phone calls in which they discussed holding an “Alice In Wonderland” themed tea party that prosecutors said was code for an attack.
The security services launched a proactive surveillance operation, and in April 2017 tracked Rizlaine Boular and her mother as they conducted reconnaissance of London landmarks earmarked for attack.
Days later, officers swooped to arrest the mother and daughter in an operation that led police to shoot Rizlaine Boular, who made a full recovery.
The family members, including Safaa Boular, were charged with preparing terrorist acts.
She denied the charges but was found guilty by a jury last week and will be sentenced at a later date.
Rizlaine Boular pleaded guilty earlier this year and now faces life in jail, with a minimum term of 16 years.
Their Morocco-born mother Dich was handed a minimum of six years and nine months plus five years on extended license.
Judge Mark Dennis said she had “failed in her parental role” and played a “significant role” in radicalising her daughters, bearing a “heavy responsibility.”
Dennis told Rizlaine Boular she had planned a “wicked act” born from distorted views.
“There are individuals walking the streets today whose lives could have been irreparably damaged or lost had it not been for the intervention of the police and security services,” he said.
The defendants, who wore Islamic dress in the dock, made no reaction.
Boular’s lawyer Imran Khan said his client’s plot was a suicide mission, because at that time she had wanted to die, but had now put her past views behind her.
Kieran Vaughan, a lawyer for Dich, argued she played a “lesser role” in the plot.


Trump says Baghdadi successor in US crosshairs

Updated 19 min 16 sec ago

Trump says Baghdadi successor in US crosshairs

  • The US president used his speech in New York to claim that Daesh’s leadership was running scared in the wake of Baghdadi’s death
  • Donald Trump: Thanks to American warriors, Al-Baghdadi is dead, his second in charge is dead, we have our eyes on number three

NEW YORK: US President Donald Trump placed the Daesh group’s new chief in the crosshairs Monday as he marked Veterans’ Day by celebrating the killing of the extremists’ former leader Abu Bakr Al-Baghdadi.

While US presidents traditionally mark the day by laying a wreath at a vast military cemetery in Arlington, near Washington, Trump traveled to New York where he made an address ahead of the city’s annual parade of veterans.

Trump was widely criticized after announcing a full withdrawal of US troops from Syria last month, with opponents and even some allies saying it could allow Daesh to rebuild as well as leaving US-allied Kurdish fighters vulnerable to a Turkish invasion.

But the US president used his speech in New York to claim that Daesh’s leadership was running scared in the wake of Baghdadi’s death in a raid in the northwestern Syrian province of Idlib on October 26.

“Just a few weeks ago, American special forces raided the Daesh compound and brought the world’s number one terrorist leader to justice,” he said.

“Thanks to American warriors, Al-Baghdadi is dead, his second in charge is dead, we have our eyes on number three.

“His reign of terror is over, and we have our enemies running very, very scared. Those who threaten our people don’t stand a chance against the righteous might of the American military.”

After the death of Baghdadi and Daesh’s main spokesman, Abu Hassan Al-MuHajjir, in a raid the following day, the organization named the little known Abu Ibrahim Al-Hashimi Al-Quraishi as its new leader.

Following the uproar over his announcement of a full troop withdrawal, Trump said that he would leave some troops in the region to protect valuable oil fields.

General Mark Milley, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said in an interview at the weekend that US troop levels in northern Syria would probably stabilize at around 500.