Saudi Arabia’s King Salman calls Kuwait's new emir Sheikh Nawaf to offer condolences

BANDAR AL-JALOUD / Saudi Royal Palace / AFP
Short Url
Updated 30 September 2020

Saudi Arabia’s King Salman calls Kuwait's new emir Sheikh Nawaf to offer condolences

  • King Salman offered condolences to new Kuwait emir Sheikh Nawaf during phone call
  • ‘We lost a dear brother,’ King Salman said of Sheikh Sabah, whose death was announced Tuesday

RIYADH: King Salman made a phone call on Tuesday to Kuwait's next emir, Sheikh Nawaf Al-Ahmad Al-Jaber Al-Sabah to offer his sincere condolences for the loss of his brother, Saudi Press Agency reported.
The emir of Kuwait, Sheikh Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Sabah, passed away earlier on Tuesday aged 91.
He had ruled Kuwait since 2006.
During the call, the king said: “We have lost a dear brother and a leader who devoted his life to the service of his homeland, Arab and Islamic nation and the human community,.”
The king said he gained a distinguished position and was highly appreciated by world leaders and people. 
“We offer our condolences to all the people of the Gulf and the Arab and Islamic nations,” adding that “he passed away after a career full of achievement and giving.”
He added, “He passed away after a journey full of achievement and generosity. We ask God to bestow his mercy and forgiveness and to dwell in his spaciousness in paradise.”

Later on Tuesday, King Salman tweeted: “With the departure of Kuwait’s emir Sheikh Sabah Al-Ahmad Al-Sabah, I lost a dear brother, a generous friend with great stature. He is highly regarded and deserves all the appreciation.”
He added: “We miss him as much as his people miss him, and history will immortalize him as he devoted his life to the service of his country and the Arab and Islamic nations. 
“Our condolences to our people of Kuwait.”

King Salman also congratulated Sheikh Nawaf on assuming the reins of emir Kuwait and said that the Kingdom stands with Kuwait, wishing the country more security, prosperity and stability. 

Opinion

This section contains relevant reference points, placed in (Opinion field)

Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman also offered his condolences to Sheikh Nawaf in a separate call on Tuesday.
Sheikh Nawaf expressed his thanks and appreciation to King Salman and the crown prince for their “sincere fraternal feelings.”
 


Saudi health minister promises to procure tested COVID-19 vaccine

Saudi Health Minister Tawfiq Al-Rabiah. (AP)
Updated 14 sec ago

Saudi health minister promises to procure tested COVID-19 vaccine

JEDDAH: Saudi Health Minister Tawfiq Al-Rabiah on Monday said the Kingdom will procure vaccine for the novel coronavirus once it is confirmed to be safe and effective.

He said research on the vaccine is underway in a number of countries and the Saudi health authorities are following the developments.
The number of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) cases continues to decline in the Kingdom with the recovery rate from the illness rising to 96 percent. The minister attributed the decline on the “commitment to health precautions.”
“I also thank my fellow health practitioners for their wonderful efforts,” Al-Rabiah said.
Commenting on the second and stronger wave of COVID-19 in some countries, he said it was due to a lack of “commitment to social distancing” and failure to wear masks and taking other precautions.
He ruled out any leniency on part of the government in its fight against the virus. The minister said it is necessary to abide by precautionary measures to keep the virus at bay.

FASTFACTS

• Saudi Arabia recorded 381 new infections on Monday.

• With 16 new fatalities, the virus-related death toll has risen to 5,201.

“We (all) are in one boat, and the failure of some affects everyone, so we must work together” to check the spread of the virus.
He also advised people who show COVID-19 symptoms to visit Tetamman (rest assured) clinics.
“Appointments can be made through the ministry’s Sehaty app, and anyone who has any questions or wants to consult a doctor can call 937,” the minister said.
Saudi Arabia recorded 381 new infections on Monday. The total number of COVID-19 cases has reached 348,583 since the beginning of the outbreak in the Kingdom.
The Health Ministry said 16 more people died due to complications caused by the virus raising the death toll to 5,201. The ministry also reported 357 new recoveries. The total number of recovered cases has now increased to 328,895.